General election 2020 (3 Viewers)

"The direct financial subvention to energy providers means there will be no application process for customers and the €100 will be deducted automatically from electricity bills."

ah, i just think it's a populist bag of shite. it's probably going to cost €100m and would have been far better spent in a more equitable manner, or done with a bit more vision.

So money from taxation gets transferred to energy companies. Spoiler: this is actually just collectively paying 100eu extra for electricity.

The why would be more of interest to me.

Is this some filtration of the eu COVID fund?
Is our supply so threatened that the suppliers need a capital ball out to secure the spring supply?
Are ffg banking on 100 being enough to wipe out 20 years of inflation??

Hhhmmmmmmm

I think we could get the electricity companies to bid on how much money they'll get, turn it into a market, drive down the costs and maybe we'll save some of that money.

markets 4 ever

*bail out

but ball out kinda applies. Anywhooo I guess it's a pre-bail out for energy bidding wars that are rolling along in the background. Bailout doesn't sound as nice as free 100eu though, kinda has baggage.

*bail out

but ball out kinda applies. Anywhooo I guess it's a pre-bail out for energy bidding wars that are rolling along in the background. Bailout doesn't sound as nice as free 100eu though, kinda has baggage.
Jesus, it is a bail out isn't it? Our electricity supplier, which is some pseudo-community one, has increased prices three times this year, last time basically saying "we can't exist if we don't raise prices, we're really sorry." I mean, I believe them, it's what's happened in the UK, but this is what happens when you take a natural monopoly and try and turn it into a market because it's the 90s and you're a fucking moron.

here AP, how much of the electricity generation in the country belongs to eirgrid? especially the base load. i'd have guessed most of whatever competition there is, is in renewables.

anyway, i'm off to boil an unnecessarily large kettle now. thanks michael (and Leo, and Eamon)

here AP, how much of the electricity generation in the country belongs to eirgrid? especially the base load. i'd have guessed most of whatever competition there is, is in renewables.

anyway, i'm off to boil an unnecessarily large kettle now. thanks michael (and Leo, and Eamon)

It isn't really about competition at present. Gas markets are gone a bit crazy and you may have noticed oil prices have shot up too. there are ongoing global bidding wars going on to secure oil and gas supplies - Joe Biden recently released americas failsafe oil stock to try and drive the price down. So Irelands supply be 1/2/3rd party are all playing on the same market effectively - Since we went data centre crazy we've become gas dependent to keep the lights on (and more data centres in construction - new time of boom i guess!!) so having lights on in homes is oil/gas dependent and will be until we either let people have community solar or turn that collapsing mine in monaghan into a collapsing nuclear station. This is SEAI 2020 - two gas turbines were brought online in 2021 - don't know if they were online for this data.

1639566282271.png

The position of successive Governments has been that competitive energy markets result in greater choice for consumers, in terms of suppliers, products and prices. Data from approved price comparison sites shows that consumers can make significant savings by switching or engaging with energy suppliers. Many households could save on their bills if they did so. As recently as 9 December, switching supplier could save a customer, consuming the average amount of electricity, up to €313.

That final paragraph though

That final paragraph though

I was looking to change supplier via Bonkers last week- ended up getting an offer from my current supplier (Energia) that included €250 cash back and a saving of 40% on the gas and elec unit rate.

So there is plenty of scope for the suppliers to tighten their bills, rather than have the state give them a €210 million cash bonus

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back