General Election 2016 (2 Viewers)

my top 3 on smartvote were 1 green party 2. pbpa and 3 & 4. labour

---
it's the same for fine gael that their candidates only have 8 opinions on the 30 issues, i think the parties originally set the views for their candidates. at the bottom for me was the UnitedPeople's candidate, 2 from DDI and an independent from Dundalk who have not done it

Last edited:
Yeah, Fine Gael aren't really playing the game. They're for Job-bridge, A&E targets, Junior Cert grading, wind farms and water-metering but against abolition of I.W., decriminalisation of cannabis and increasing corporate tax rates. Indifferent on the rest. What a crock of shit.

FF activist says gender quotas unconstitutional

I can't wait to see how this plays out and whether it'll be decided upon before the forthcoming election.
McDowell raises a good point; if gender quotas, why not religious/class/whatever you're having yourself quotas?

some are just above the quota levels as per Officially declared candidates for the 2016 General Election

If one female candidate withdrew fromboth fg, ff, they'd both miss out on the 30% quota. Renua need to add two females to their ticket to have a chance at money (and get 2% of the vote also)

some are just above the quota levels as per Officially declared candidates for the 2016 General Election

If one female candidate withdrew fromboth fg, ff, they'd both miss out on the 30% quota. Renua need to add two females to their ticket to have a chance at money (and get 2% of the vote also)

I imagine any party looking at failing to make the quotas will just throw a female into a hopeless race in order to qualify.

the make-up of government actually reflecting the population? in a democracy? that would be madness

Well, it won't dictate the make-up of the Dail or government, it just dictates that 30% (and next time 40%) of candidates must be female.
Besides which, isn't that just the point? How many of our parliamentarians are 'working class'? Surely that's a segment of society that's under-represented at parliament, why not introduce quotas for that too?

I imagine any party looking at failing to make the quotas will just throw a female into a hopeless race in order to qualify.

the expectation would seem to be that both ff and fg will ad 2 or 3 female candidates to their tickets in case an unexpected drop out happens in the final week before nominations close

However, party sources said another number of female candidates would be added across the country to ensure Fine Gael will still comply with the gender quota rules if some candidates drop out. Constituencies likely to see additions, either male or female, are Cork North Central, Donegal, Dublin Fingal and Louth.
FG TD appeals for support in ‘dogfight’ for last Louth seat

I wish they'd just get it out of the way.

The parish pump has been on since Monday, many cumecs.

FF almost gone full gombeen werewolf after almost acting human for 4 years.

Fg/lab/ind is my current guess.

SF probably happy being a huge opposition party and trolling their way to nice pensions, would need inds galore to form a house

Inds will fill out the labour decline, as they have been doing labours job.

Sd's - I've a feeling they are just labour kids on spring break, designed to sponge fg/labs losses on the mid right.

Renua - can only really mould into fg, right?

Irish Election: Parties parodied as Simpsons characters

110941143-c840b9e4-c018-404e-aa10-5547698cab0c.jpg

I did that Smartvote thing and it suggested Katherine Zappone.

I voted for Shane Ross last time but the constituency changes means hes not in my area anymore.

I'm ok with Zappone. She'll get my vote.

Paul Murphy was 5th on my list. He'll get in top of the poll cos Tallaght is in my constituency. I would not votre for him in a fit.

I got Catherine Murphy-which is fine, seeing as I voted for her last time.

what about genre quotas in the album club?

anyways

observations so far:

As regards my job, I'm really glad its only a three week election.

As regards Smartvote, I'd say its about 80% accurate, and will improve.

as regards how people will vote. This is the most social media involved election in Irish history. My instinct is that peoples minds are already made up long ago, based on who's been effectively tweeting and networking on single issues. How this will pan out in practice we'll know in a year or two. Its piss easy to land down to a water protest and throw together a few soundbites that will rise a crowd. Its not as easy to out-legal people in the dail.

I'm hoping to see a lot of independents returned this time, I think we can expect a right/centre majority - If they have to sit across a room from some of the more impressive single issue independents for four years then we might see some social progress.

I wont be commenting much on specifics. broadcast law got a bit vague on the old social media end...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back