Gardening (1 Viewer)

lots of montbretia popping up there too by the looks of it? acid soil? the camellia will like that.
Yeah this place gets covered in them. That's a part of the garden I haven't done anything with except cut it back. Nothing but weeds and uneven ground right now.

How do I check my soil? Do I buy a kit or just go by the maps online?

you can buy soil testing kits easily enough, but unless someone had done a lot of work to the soil in your place, i suspect any maps you could find would be close enough.

i'd been looking for hazel rods and stakes to make a wattle raised bed. found a chap in cavan who would let me cut as many willow rods at his place as i'd want, for free, but looks like it'll be a few months before that could happen. the willow wouldn't be suitable for the stakes though, it'd rot too quickly.

Cut the fuck out of a big hedge thing with the FIL's petrol strimmer chainsaw earlier. Stood on the daffodils while i did it.

Great view @Lili Marlene reminds me of my folk's gaff.

Planted 2 trees in my parents' garden yesterday.

Took them from my GF's mother's garden. Fertalised them with their own compost, and manure supplied by the farmer up the road. And watered with rainwater harvested from their own gutters. As green as can be.

My septuagenarian parents gave socially distanced assistance. Hemingway shit (I think, I've never read him)

Spent like 5 hours in Saturday replacing the polytunnel door. I am not a handy person, got it done in the end though. Can actually hold the heat again now.

Spent like 5 hours in Saturday replacing the polytunnel door. I am not a handy person, got it done in the end though. Can actually hold the heat again now.
In my experience no job ever takes less than a day

... though having said that I fixed a leaky toilet I was supposed to fix over the weekend in 5 mins this morning using a rubber band. If I had gone at it on Saturday I probably would have tried replacing the ballcock thing and it would surely have taken me all weekend

over the last week or two i've built some raised beds out of scaffolding planks, and filled them with some homegrown compost/soil, and stuff i had to buy in.

I need to buy a new poly for the tunnel here.

I'm not sure what it's gonna cost... I'm sure the local co-op will have it.

Gonna buy about a hundred trees while I'm at it sure. #farmlife.

I need to buy a new poly for the tunnel here.

I'm not sure what it's gonna cost... I'm sure the local co-op will have it.
Let me know how that goes, we'll have to replace ours as well, we'll probably leave it till next year or later though. Honestly at this point we probably need an entire new tunnel but we figure we'll get by with what we have for a few years and see how into growing shit we get.

Have various ambitious ideas i'm too embarrassed to talk about on here for fear of mockery at my naivety from the grizzled veterans like @ann post and @egg_ .

Let me know how that goes, we'll have to replace ours as well, we'll probably leave it till next year or later though. Honestly at this point we probably need an entire new tunnel but we figure we'll get by with what we have for a few years and seeing how into growing shit we get. Have various ambitious ideas i'm too embarrassed to talk about on here for fear of mockery at my naivety from the grizzled veterans like @ann post and @egg_ .

Oh, I have a master plan.

Gonna buy a farm, make it as aesthetic as fuck, get the kids in as slave labour, and start cranking out pollinator plants and growing on native trees. Once I've got the operation going, I'm going to try to set it up as a swanky garden center, aiming at the west coast liberal Cork elites. But the joke will be on them, I'm going to keep my job (hopefully), and just try to make the whole thing self sustaining, with the evil plot of increasing the amount of plants in the area that can sustain pollinators.

I've already got a scythe.

I'll be your West Kerry offshoot franchise branch. One county at a time we will return Ireland back to its prehistoric forest past.

and bring back the wolves of course.

I'll be your West Kerry offshoot franchise branch. One county at a time we will return Ireland back to its prehistoric forest past.

and bring back the wolves of course.

Dublin Junkies Discount Plant Superstore "Showing Culchies how it's done since 2024".

Disclaimer - all cars parked in or around the premises are subject to getting robbed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back