Gardening (2 Viewers)

interesting. teagasc are an agriculture body, didn't know they'd get involved with a purely biodiversity initiative.

i would be curious about whether there are conditions of the grants being awarded, such as thinning, etc.

Huh. Yeah, that's a good point. I suppose I didn't go into the why part of things all that much. I should probably ask the question. I got the impression they just wanted forest established, nothing more than that.

There are conditions, they are specific in the trees they want planted and they come back after... I think four or five years to check that the forest actually did establish. You have to get the tree man to come and look over the land, and he sets out what bits are eligible. Like if you have really scrubby rocky stuff which he believes wouldn't hold a population of trees you won't get that area included in your acreage.

that's an amazingly exposed nest. suprised they haven't been picked off?

It might not be as exposed as it looks in the photos. I have this kind of free standing set of shelves I rack houseplants onto for the summer. They made the next on top of one of those plants, but it's kind of covered by the shelf above. It's exposed when I'm standing next to it, but you'd have to be in there to see I think.

It's still a mystery where all the bits of shell go.

Attachments

• begging.jpg
    begging.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
DO they eat them for calcium?

I was wondering that. It's not the most... I dunno... palatable? Their little beaks crunching up shell?

It's not like there's one or two pieces left over either. It's gone, I can't see a trace of anything anywhere, so if they are eating it, it must be absolutely delicious. The logistics of choking down that volume of shell is hard for me to get my head around.

I follow a horse dentist on instagram who buried a horse skull for a year and then dug it up and bleached it as a teaching aid.

Kinda tempted.
do it. we've done it a few times with dead birds and other animals. place it in a shallow dish (to hold a bit of water and keep it moist), but place it under some blocks so a fox doesn't try to nick it. leave it be for a month or two, till it falls apart, and hape it into some bleach for a few days. the fun begins with separating what is bone from what isn't. the feathers will generally float, bone will sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back