Gardening (1 Viewer)

One more question, and I'll be quiet.

Is there any sort of dislike to people foresting land coming from the surrounding farmers in your experience? Or would you ever have heard of such a sentiment?

I'm imagining that forested land is going to be home to more animals than those horrible fucking cow pastures we worship. More animals would mean foxes and badgers possibly, and then you're into "OMG those animals are venturing out destroying my herd" territory.

Or is this not a thing? I guess it depends on the farmer, but I'm curious if that logic is talked about.

Do you know what the thinking is behind it being so narrow? Or would you consider that to be a normal splitting axe?
It's going to cut down on the weight at least. That's quite a nice one, the ones I saw weren't as nice.
Dunno really - the previous one I had had a wider blade alright, and didn't have that bit hanging down off the blade. I think this one is a little heavier actually

(broke the handle on the old one, and then broke another handle trying to put a new handle on, and then my father-in-law got some trees taken down and bought me a new axe as a "present")

Is there any sort of dislike to people foresting land coming from the surrounding farmers in your experience? Or would you ever have heard of such a sentiment?
The farmers around here know us as wildlife-loving types (Mrs. egg_ does nature walks and stuff for kids in the summer), so if they did harbour sentiments like that they probably wouldn't share them with us

I will say though that if you bought land and forested it, you'd probably need to keep an eye on it until the forest was well-established, especially if it's animals being farmed around your land. It's livestock-owners' responsibility to fence their stock so that they don't break in and eat all your tree seedlings, but decent fencing is pricey and if they don't know you and you're not around they are unlikely to be too arsed. Some lads might even encroach on your land and use it themselves if they think they'll get away with it (I know they're always at that on Bord na Móna land)

How much land are you gonna buy @flashback ? Out with it.

At the rate I'm going at the moment I'm not even going to be able to escape this shithole country.

Nah, when I'm looking through places every now and again I see small farms, or gaffs with a pasture or two included.

I don't want a farm, and I steered clear of all that nonsense. But a mate of mine bought a farmhouse out by Leap, and ended up with 30 odd acres of land. They were talking about getting rid of it, and I started pushing the native forest idea. Then I realised I could potentially do something similar if I was to end up with land.

So, I don't really know. I'm just going through options in my head. I can expect to live for another 40 years say, and if you were to start foresting a bit of land over in 40 years it might have a decent bit of biodiversity? Idle thinking really.

If I had money I'd buy land, and then start a program where primary school kids would go off and gather up acorns / birch seeds or whatever, and germinate them. Then there'd be a school trip where they could go to some local area, someone could give a spiel about native plants and their importance, they get a trowel and they can plant their tree saplings, and get told they can come back to check on how their forest is going in the future.

So, I don't really know. I'm just going through options in my head. I can expect to live for another 40 years say, and if you were to start foresting a bit of land over in 40 years it might have a decent bit of biodiversity? Idle thinking really.

The biodiversity kicks in basically immediatley. The trees i'm clearing now were planted in my lifetime (i'm 40). They are being replaced by native species. In 2005 the back part was green field. Now its a lush place filled with birds. I remade the pond a few weeks back and already them little floaty fly things are hanging out there. Its mad.

At the rate I'm going at the moment I'm not even going to be able to escape this shithole country.

Nah, when I'm looking through places every now and again I see small farms, or gaffs with a pasture or two included.

I don't want a farm, and I steered clear of all that nonsense. But a mate of mine bought a farmhouse out by Leap, and ended up with 30 odd acres of land. They were talking about getting rid of it, and I started pushing the native forest idea. Then I realised I could potentially do something similar if I was to end up with land.

If I had money I'd buy land, and then start a program where primary school kids would go off and gather up acorns / birch seeds or whatever, and germinate them. Then there'd be a school trip where they could go to some local area, someone could give a spiel about native plants and their importance, they get a trowel and they can plant their tree saplings, and get told they can come back to check on how their forest is going in the future.
Well, since you shared, so will I. The house we just bought includes three parcels of land (very small, relatively speaking) and we're absolutely going to try and turn one of them into just a little bit of woodland, go for the biodiversity just for the sake of it.

I'm sure lots will go totally wrong and people will enjoy lording over us how this is a lesson for our generation that we will never achieve anything and how dare we try something, think it was going to be easy did you??? just doing it for instagram was it??? ... but we plan to keep at it.

Anyway, right now we're locked down for three more weeks so WHATEVER.

Just reading through this document:

There's no mention of Ewe tree reforestation. I wonder if they were overlooked on purpose for some reason?

Would it be up to the land owner to provide all the seedlings too I suppose?
I think there was talk of encouraging commercial yew forestry to produce an anti-cancer drug that can be made from the bark. Maybe they leave it out of reforestation plans because it's so toxic to cattle, you could really lose the goodwill of your farming neighbours that way.

The biodiversity kicks in basically immediatley. The trees i'm clearing now were planted in my lifetime (i'm 40). They are being replaced by native species. In 2005 the back part was green field. Now its a lush place filled with birds. I remade the pond a few weeks back and already them little floaty fly things are hanging out there. Its mad.

Alright. Nice one.

That's what I've been seeing in the US over the last while, things come back within a year or two. Strange as it sounds the US is generally much less damaged than Ireland. I wasn't sure if Ireland countryside would bounce back as fast.

Oh yeah, my daughter did this in the US for two years. They'd have them out in the woods, for hours, every day. In the rain, cold, snow, didn't matter. It was wild seeing the kids stagger back in to the class looking like drowned rats dragged through a hedge, they loved it though.

I'm sure lots will go totally wrong and people will enjoy lording over us how this is a lesson for our generation that we will never achieve anything and how dare we try something, think it was going to be easy did you??? just doing it for instagram was it??? ... but we plan to keep at it.

Use their lording over you to force you to not give up, and doing a good job, out of sheer spite.

Like this walking legend of a man:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's no "garden" job I enjoy more than splitting wood. You need a maul/splitting axe though, it's nowhere near as fun trying to do it with a felling axe

I've had to subcontract the splitting to UTM to keep him occupied, I occasionally split the odd one to keep in touch. REading a book about old wood tools now. The (normal sized) splitting axe i use is reffered to as 'a boys axe' in the book as a technical term. Way to knock the masculintiy back a few steps :p. Thinking about a maul too. Lockdown has me going more amish by the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back