Gardening (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Threads
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
I keep our lawn mowed. I'd mow it more often if the weather allowed. I'd much rather run over it with the mower and empty the bag twice than do it less often and have to empty it constantly. Anyway the only reason I keep it short is that it makes PICKING UP THE DOGSHIT EASIER.

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
The daffodils we have were planted years ago by the previous owner. They bloom every year with no help from us. There are bluebells and primroses all around the house too and we're just going to leave them in the expectation they'll just do the same next year.
I'm going to mow/strim the grass inside the dog's run. Although it feels a bit like hunting for Easter eggs, grabbing a dog turd and trying to get it one piece through long grass isn't very pleasant.

Mormon Nailer

Supporter
Threads
Website
skin-of-our-teeth.blogspot.com
I tied down the daffodils yesterday.
I decided fuck that and rolled over the lot of them with the lawm mower.
On a cost benefit basis daffodils are a shit investment.
Lost of hassle for ugly flowers that don't last long and flower in spring when it's too cold to be outside to enjoy the garden anyway.
Fuck daffodils.

egg_

Staff member
Supporter
Since 1999
Threads
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
I mow some of our plot every fortnight during the summer, cos it's nice to have a lawn to play/hang out on. Some of other bits I mow once a year with the scythe, some others are just pure fucking wild now after 10 years of living here, covered in brambles and shit. Areas where you leave grass to die year after year are supposed to be terrible for harbouring the slugs that come and devour our lettuces :(

hydromancer

Supporter
Threads
20180514_231515.jpg

Bought some bulbs today about 50 - 60. A tener for the lot think the guy forgot to charge me for a couple of packets. These will all be...

hydromancer

Supporter
Threads
The daffodils we have were planted years ago by the previous owner. They bloom every year with no help from us. There are bluebells and primroses all around the house too and we're just going to leave them in the expectation they'll just do the same next year.
I'm going to mow/strim the grass inside the dog's run. Although it feels a bit like hunting for Easter eggs, grabbing a dog turd and trying to get it one piece through long grass isn't very pleasant.
You can eat the primrose flowers of course a bit like cowslips. They seem to do well enough for themselves growing at the roadsides.

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
Our garden is well overgrown now. I had tor drop the strimmer and the mower into the repair shop this afternoon and they won't be done for 2 - 3 weeks. Did you know that mowers are four stroke and use petrol, but strimmers are two stroke and use a petrol/oil mix? Because I didn't.

pavlos

Supporter
Threads
Our garden is well overgrown now. I had tor drop the strimmer and the mower into the repair shop this afternoon and they won't be done for 2 - 3 weeks. Did you know that mowers are four stroke and use petrol, but strimmers are two stroke and use a petrol/oil mix? Because I didn't.
Maybe @egg_ can give you a lend of his scythe

the_jen

Supporter
Threads
Just tidies them up. You have to let the leaves live for 6-8 weeks after the flowers die so the plant can complete it's life cycle and come back again next year. I wouldn't have bothered except my mum used to do it, and they were looking mad untidy compared to next door.
They do need the leaves to photosynthesise enough food for the new wee bulbs to store. Tying them down reduces the useable surface area though, so it's not a great plan.

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
We had lovely huge roses fro the last few weeks but now some insects have gotten to them. If I spray something on them now will they grow again before the end of the summer? Why cant they just look after themselves? Useless show off bastard things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• Donny Hathaway
    A Song for You
    Donny Hathaway
    Donny Hathaway
  • Sister
    Sister
    Angel Olsen
    Sister

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads