Galway (1 Viewer)

I was there for two days but really didn't get a good feel for the place. How would it be in terms of living there compared to Dublin? Any thoughts?

I would say it's definitely cheaper than Dublin. It's small enough and easy to get around. It's best point and it's worst point is that is a small place. After 4 and a half years that kind of got to me a bit. I can't say I miss the place having moved away 2 months ago for Edinburgh. That said though a bag of cans down by the river of a hot summer's day takes some beating:)

I would say it's definitely cheaper than Dublin. It's small enough and easy to get around. It's best point and it's worst point is that is a small place. After 4 and a half years that kind of got to me a bit. I can't say I miss the place having moved away 2 months ago for Edinburgh. That said though a bag of cans down by the river of a hot summer's day takes some beating:)

Where is the University located? Is it in town? If one worked there and lived close to the city centre could they easily get around without a car? Bands that play Dublin usually play Galway too, right?

As someone who is from that neck of the woods, I've lived in both places long-term and I prefer Dublin. Galway is a great town, especially in the Summer when it really comes alive, but for about 8 months of the year it pisses rain all the time. When I lived there I was constantly wet.

Another thing is that Galway has a reputation as an arts town and, though this is somewhat true, it's a bit contrived. It used to be a real bohemian place, but at some point someone figured out that you could make money out of this, so pubs like the Quays etc, that used to have great character, got converted into horrible super pubs designed to pull in as many punters as possible. In some ways, Galway is like a quasi-hippie theme park in Summer when the arts festival is on.

Of course, Dublin has its share of awful drinking holes too but at least with Dublin you've a much larger population so you have a little more choice with where you go and who you hang out with. In Galway, some pubs, like Roisin's, have retained the old charm, but these are few and far between.

Maybe things have changed since I left in 1997 but any time I've been back it just seemed to be going the same way.

Hmm, just realised I talked mostly about pubs. Oh well. I like pubs.

Where is the University located? Is it in town? If one worked there and lived close to the city centre could they easily get around without a car? Bands that play Dublin usually play Galway too, right?

yeah, the university is central enough. It's just past the cathedral. I don't drive but the brother reckons it is handy enough to get around. Buses are crap. I walked or biked it. There is a deadly punk & hardcore scene thanks to the gigs put on by us vs. them (most of which are free). stress run stuff in deburgos and the bigger gigs are in the roisin. oh yeah, it rains an awful lot:)

Galway is still a great spot. I lived there for four years and loved every day. Even the rainy ones. The smallness thing..well, put it this way, if you frequent a few spots in Dublin city (and most people end up with a small geographical, social sphere that they tend to inhabit) you end up seeing all the same faces all the time anyway, think of Galway as the same. And the sheer volume of the throughput of visitors, moochers, students and weekenders means you'll always be meeting new and interesting people. And it does still have a nice vibe, despite the protestations of those who lived there in the so-called good old days..i.e when everyone smelt of wet dog, lived on stale bread, and heated their houses by burning decommissioned lecture notes.

The smallness thing..well, put it this way, if you frequent a few spots in Dublin city (and most people end up with a small geographical, social sphere that they tend to inhabit) you end up seeing all the same faces all the time anyway, think of Galway as the same.

thats a bit misleading though, galway is way smaller - you can see it all it has to offer in one day (if its raining early in the day have your lunch in a pub and if it clears up later have a few cans by the spanish arch...). i lived there for about 5 months, i didnt know the place at all when i went but was totally sick of it by the end. im fussy and contrary though.

I lived there for a year and one thing I'd say is unless you have a car then it's pretty much essential to live near the city centre. We lived in Doughiska which is about 20 mins from teh city centre and I utterly hated that place with a passion. The bus came every HOUR. Ugh. Now though the boyf lives in the city centre so I love going to Galway. It's really chilled out and pretty and has a great vibe there. It is the graveyard of ambition though, to be honest.

galway could be great if you only plan on staying for maybe 1 to 2 years.
it will keep you entertained for about that long and then it begins to get to you.
live in the city center even if your job is out of town.

I've no real affection for Galway city but it would be nice to be able to head out and spend afternoons in Connemara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back