Funny towns (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 18K
  • Watchers 2
captain anomie said:
kiltimagh in mayo - legend has it that the word 'cultchie' actually originated from this place.
[in nerd voice]

The etymology for the word 'culchie' is oft debated, but the most convincing one I've heard is that it comes from the Irish word coilteach, referring to 'man of the woods' (though I'm a bit confused, as I thought teach meant 'house', and I don't know enough about the mechanics of Irish to explain that away). It is possibly a translation of the Latin word sylvaticus, used in Medieval texts to describe the rural native Irish, who were called, by the English, 'the Woodland Irish' or 'wild Irish'.

So, there ya go. How it worked its way into the modern vernacular is...uh...not my job....[runs away, nerdily].

jane said:
[in nerd voice]

The etymology for the word 'culchie' is oft debated, but the most convincing one I've heard is that it comes from the Irish word coilteach, referring to 'man of the woods' (though I'm a bit confused, as I thought teach meant 'house', and I don't know enough about the mechanics of Irish to explain that away). It is possibly a translation of the Latin word sylvaticus, used in Medieval texts to describe the rural native Irish, who were called, by the English, 'the Woodland Irish' or 'wild Irish'.

So, there ya go. How it worked its way into the modern vernacular is...uh...not my job....[runs away, nerdily].
[In Jock voice]

GET BACK HERE NERDLINGER!

jane said:
[in nerd voice]

this is beyond the pale...

Bag'o'cans said:
There's a hackball cross somewhere.
Tonregee is the usual anglicisation of thoin le gaoith, ass to the wind, a common name. Theres also piss in the wind, don't know what it is in its anglicised form though.
hackballs cross is in Co. louth

i've a friend from there

There's not actually a sub aqua club in Muff. There is however a Filling station. Guess what that's called?

Visitors found this page:
Bastardstown

, bastardstown wexford, funny towns thumped, fagan clane, mong hill leitrim, coshmore and coshbride, oughaval map, wormhole moycullen co. galway, ulter USK, Bastardstown Co. Wexford, townland slutsend, Fannystown, coolydoody, mark fagan clane, funny real place names, mong carrick on shannon, spurtown, bastardstown etmyology, kilcolagh, meath ireland funny towns names , dogging clane, ratoath vs shellburn video, kilbride cavan fagan

On the run 9-11 ?

Kilcock takes its name from the 6th century Saint Coca who founded a church beside the river Rye.
Cill Choca meaning Coca's cell.[There is a restaurant in Navan called gaylord tandoori.
I got some books from England years ago and they were wraped up in road maps with loads of really amazeing and weird place names its such a shame we dont have that.
Everywhere in Meath begins with "Dun" it wrecks my head.
dun means fort.

i'm just after coming from kilnaboy and i'm on my way to kilmore but i need to get a kettle to boyle and an ambulance to nenagh ASAP, what's the best road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back