fundit, infographic, well? (1 Viewer)

the Where Were You book. But to be fair they underestimated the postage costs and contacted everyone about alternative delivery arrangements. I told them I'd call over to collect it, arranged a day and time, etc, and when I went there was no one there. Haven't heard a thing from them since (in almost 2 years)

thats' bollocks...you need to get a proper contact number and demand your book or get your money back

thats' bollocks...you need to get a proper contact number and demand your book or get your money back

I kind of feel at least half responsible though. I kept telling them I'd call for ages but never got around to it.

Dunno, maybe I should. At this stage I'm not sure I care enough anymore.

Cheers though

I thought it was a great book. I didn't fund it though.

I think fundit is probably a great idea, if like FLApes you have an extensive non-musician fanbase. It's a bit mad me going around to everyone I know who for the most part also play music and sacrifice to satisfy that urge expecting them to give me money because well I'm great and yeah you might get an album out of me eventually. Home recording and digital reproduction and distribution means that there are tonnes of people with albums, many of them excellent. It's not exactly a big deal anymore putting out a record so it seems mad that bands look for 4 and 5 figure sums to do the shit everyone else is doing anyway out of their own pocket. Or something. I'm not against it anymore, I just don't think this model is sustainable below a certain level of actual fandom.

Every Fight Like Apes song sounds the same, unless they're planning on a major musical new direction for the turd album?

My next one ain't. Can you imagine dropping €20+ eight months before an album came out and it turns out to be a steaming pile of shite? I can't take that pressure.

Ours isn't. Recording paid for out of money saved from gigs over about a year as well as an album fundraiser which called in some favours from mate's bands. Mixing we cover ourselves but are recouping most of it by doing something we wouldn't normally do (a wedding). Record company covering the pressing. So if sales covers the mastering we're not doing so bad.

If fundit was the housing market, the houses wouldn't have been built if they hadn't been paid for and there would not be a boom/bust. I don't think your logic stands in that post.

In terms of complete speculation on sales Vs. guaranteed sales to all who pre-purchased, pre-order slays.

That is not ignoring the business side, that is taking the fantasizing out of it.

Ha I've said it before and I'll say it again. TLDR should be my name on here

Like I said I have nothing against "pre-sales" so long as you're not expected to then pay in to the launch gig or pick your copy up from the singers house or some other lazy band bullshit.

The reason that it's similar to the housing market is that it essentially makes a form of capital (or lets say credit) cheap and readily available. For example lets say art spaces, small galleries etc. If you can get money to start one or keep one going through fundit and you do and then more people do it. Then you reach a point where there are too many artist run spaces in existence for any one of them to ever run as a proper business. Unfortunately that's what they have to be in the end. They have overheads just like any other shop/gallery etc. My old boss, remortaged his house and took out loans a whole bunch of times in order to keep his business running. He did this basically because the banks allowed him too. Fundit is similar in that regard in that it allows people who can't control capital access to capital.

The other aspect is they make apps from the start up cash right ? and Apps make profit. So when does that profit reach the investors ?

In terms of bands it's similar, if you want to make 250 vinyl and you get 250 donations through fundit when you take into account all the expenses of making a recording you might just about break even but that's all, you more than likely can't then fund the next project without using fundit again and that's a huge problem because fundit is not a form of marketing and there's no room for any growth with it. So in the end everyone remains at zero and garners no knowledge of how to successfully self fund from it.

There are massive fundamental flaws with fundit and basically I see it as the absolute last resort. It seems that many people see it as the first port of call. It's that's bit too easy and unhealthy. There's a huge difference between a large "scene" and a strong one.

The funding allows an album to be produced, so after the initial funders get their albums there is excess stock
not if you get the money from the exact number of stock that will be produced. i.e

250 X Donations at €10 each (i.e pre-sale)

€2500 in production cost (recording, mastering, replication etc)

250 X copies sent to the 250 funders.

0 excess stock.

See that's what I'm saying pre-sale is great but it still can only account for breaking even unless someone is wiling to through you a few extra quid out of the kindness of their heart or if you price your product high enough to make a profit and that's a tightrope because less people will buy it in the first place.

How would people feel about the idea of a fundit fundit? You know, for bands that reached a fundit target but then spent all of the album money on jetpacks. Just hypothetically speaking like.

Grand so long as we can tell you what to do with said jetpacks. Or maybe like for 50 quid would you take me out(up) for a nice aeronautical dinner for two.

not if you get the money from the exact number of stock that will be produced. i.e

0 excess stock.
I think the majority of fundits that result in albums would have excess stock left over though in fairness.

I think the majority of fundits that result in albums would have excess stock left over though in fairness.

Additionally if if there wasn't the costs of doing a second run would be far less. The only way that fundit results in break even at best and no better is if your potential customer base is precisely the number of people who initially fund you.

Grand so long as we can tell you what to do with said jetpacks. Or maybe like for 50 quid would you take me out(up) for a nice aeronautical dinner for two.

Are you asking me out on a jetpack date?

Great to see the Irish Times supporting Fundit. Great to see the Irish Times lampooning Fundit. Aw heck, it's just great to see the Irish Times.

0 excess stock.

See that's what I'm saying pre-sale is great but it still can only account for breaking even unless someone is wiling to through you a few extra quid out of the kindness of their heart or if you price your product high enough to make a profit and that's a tightrope because less people will buy it in the first place.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you basing this maths on the CD's manufacture cost price being the same as that of it's retail price.

If a band were to presell 250 CDs this would give them enough money to manufacture maybe 1000 Cds, potentially generating €10,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back