Funding Up The Arts (2 Viewers)

ahahaha

In fairness, the arts was thrown under the bus at some point in the 70s

have you ever hired a ballet dancer to fix your electric shower?
Yes 😭

I know fuck all about ballet and opera but i have the decency to be ashamed about that.

Also, people who know lots about opera and ballet but turn their nose up at pop music should also be ashamed.

Greyhound racing though, why do they need our money? Someone convince me to feel bad about not caring about that particular one.

Last edited:
You could get tickets for Ballet Ireland's production of the nutcracker last year from €36, it wasn't cheap but at the same time I imagine most people here have paid more to go to a gig.
they're advertising a deftones gig next year on the radio currently, €75 minimum, i think.

Greyhound racing though, why do they need our money? Someone convince me to feel bad about not caring about that particular one.
they get a fuckload of money - nearly 20 million, i think? there's less money spent on the national parks and wildlife service.
greyhound racing can get fucked. any 'sport' whose *only* raison d'etre is to feed the gambling industry, and still can't turn a profit, can get fucked.

WTF what have you got against Ballet dancers and why are you ranking jobs in the first place?

how long does a dancing career last ?
you need to have a plan B the same as a sports person does.

ballet dancers feet get damaged from standing on their toes - I've seen the photos.

I can get by without ballet but not without hiring a plumber sometimes.

having a professional class of arts / culture / music people isn't essential.

also for the record, Fatboy Slim is one the most untalented musicians I have heard.

You could get tickets for Ballet Ireland's production of the nutcracker last year from €36, it wasn't cheap but at the same time I imagine most people here have paid more to go to a gig.
I went to 18 gigs last year. maybe 2 of them cost over 30 Euro and none over 40.

if people like ballet fine. i have watched it but only on TV and it didn't keep my attention.
some of the music is good though.

Greyhound and horse racing should not get state funding or tax breaks.
I'd would be happy to see both disappear.

I do think there is something essential about having a societal agreement to fund

people who have dedicated their life to dance/music
people who have dedicated thier life to the stage
people who have dedicated thier life to art

and with that funding to preserve some of the monumental works of the past few hundred years as a civilisation and as something that theoretically you could go see in your lifetime live - granted maybe some of this predated cheap flights and all that...
I'm not saying i relate to ballet, i don't. I much prefer weirdo arty dance expression stuff with annoying soundtracks tbh and think that should have more money.

1602534785128.jpeg

someone along the way has to make a judgement what gets funding.
that is the difficult part - how do you make a value judgement on something ?
usually economic value comes into play at that point.

Lasse Marhaug was the first Norwegian noise artist to release a record in the 90's.
he had become an established name in the noise scene when about 2006 he got
an artists grant worth about 30,000 Euro for a year from government funds.

I also heard some Norwegian black metal musicians got similar grants. (let me know if you can verify this ?)

so they decided their extreme music scene was a national asset over there.

Lasse Marhaug was the first Norwegian noise artist to release a record in the 90's.

I also heard some Norwegian black metal musicians got similar grants. (let me know if you can verify this ?)

Arts funding in Ireland is nothing short of hilarious. They should call it "Are you mates with any of these people?" funding. And there's fuck all of it to give out anyway. Good luck getting anything. And if it's not classical or trad, sure just fuck off like.

New ZEaland did something similar, thats why there are quite a few promintent NZ artists who have managed to break out of that island which has the same logistical bother we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back