Fuckin' Ghosts! (1 Viewer)

i think the one i remember most (can't remember the author, could be an obscure or a well known one) was about a woman who moves out to the suburbs as a newlywed and witnesses a murder on a passing train; but the police find no sign of anything.
needless to say, it was her own future murder she was witnessing.

i think the one i remember most (can't remember the author, could be an obscure or a well known one) was about a woman who moves out to the suburbs as a newlywed and witnesses a murder on a passing train; but the police find no sign of anything.
That one rings a bell but it could be the ghost of a future story I haven’t read yet.

This sounds really familiar

This sounds really familiar
i reckon i read it when i was 11 or 12; so that would have been 87 or 88 maybe.
the woman she sees being murdered is distinctively dressed, and after questioning herself many times about whether she was imagining things, she decides to address the issue, and dresses up in that manner and boards that train, and as she's being murdered, sees her own face in her house staring at her as the train goes past.

Or possibly The Ghostly Rental by Henry James
I’ve told it to cop the fuck on

I apologize for my previous response. The story you are referring to is "The Second Night of Summer" by James H. Chase. It was first published in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine in 1950. The story follows a woman who witnesses a murder on a passing train and realizes that the victim was wearing the same distinctive clothing that she had seen earlier in a local store. She becomes obsessed with finding the killer and decides to dress in the same outfit and board the same train in an attempt to lure out the murderer. As the train passes her own house, she sees herself being murdered through the window. It is revealed that the murderer had been her husband all along, and the entire plot was an elaborate scheme to kill her for her life insurance.

I’ve told it to cop the fuck on

I apologize for my previous response. The story you are referring to is "The Second Night of Summer" by James H. Chase. It was first published in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine in 1950. The story follows a woman who witnesses a murder on a passing train and realizes that the victim was wearing the same distinctive clothing that she had seen earlier in a local store. She becomes obsessed with finding the killer and decides to dress in the same outfit and board the same train in an attempt to lure out the murderer. As the train passes her own house, she sees herself being murdered through the window. It is revealed that the murderer had been her husband all along, and the entire plot was an elaborate scheme to kill her for her life insurance.
all hail our robot overlords

how does that make sense without a supernatural element? "As the train passes her own house, she sees herself being murdered through the window."

hmm. i've found a reference to a story called 'the second night of summer' published in a magazine in 1950, but in the reference i found, the magazine was galaxy magazine, not ellery queen's mystery magazine - and the author was James H Schmitz? and it was pure sci-fi by the looks of it.

hmm. i've found a reference to a story called 'the second night of summer' published in a magazine in 1950, but in the reference i found, the magazine was galaxy magazine, not ellery queen's mystery magazine - and the author was James H Schmitz? and it was pure sci-fi by the looks of it.
Yeah different story alright

right, googling "woman green dress murdered on train short story" got me the probably story with the very first search result - though i didn't mention the green dress earlier, which chatGPT could have used.
'the woman in the green dress' by joyce marsh.

led to this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back