Fuck Religion (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 97K
  • Watchers 12
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't get right of passage ceremonies full stop, replacing them with atheist versions seems pointless to me and always has.

I used to read The Freethinker in the mid 90's (the magazine of the British Humanist Association)
jesus it was boring. a really establishment version of atheism.
Dawkins was one of their patrons - he's an awful bore as well.

where did I learn about religion? nearly entirely in school - whether I wanted to or not.
the priest I dealt with for most of primary school wasn't very nice but he never hit me unlike the teachers.
I've long come to the conclusion school did me a lot more harm than religion and they just happened to be in league together

let's just get religion out of schools and hospitals and we'll be OK.

I think I've been at three weddings in my life.
my nephew had his daughter christened, so me declining to attend churches for his first communion etc on basis he might not be happy about religion when he was older was unfounded.
he's still not religious but he's certainly not against it either.

I like rituals. Neither of our kids are baptised, but we had parties for them shortly after they were born. Same when the older one was leaving primary school, we had a kind of non-confirmation thing for her. No speechifying or anything, just a party to bring people together and make a fuss about someone you love

Without rituals we'll be like the brits slinging a corpse in a cardboard box to drive to the crematorium

I like rituals. Neither of our kids are baptised, but we had parties for them shortly after they were born. Same when the older one was leaving primary school, we had a kind of non-confirmation thing for her. No speechifying or anything, just a party to bring people together and make a fuss about someone you love

Without rituals we'll be like the brits slinging a corpse in a cardboard box to drive to the crematorium
Having party for a new baby - yeah! that's something to celebrate. Birthday parties are cool - for kids. So is retiring and getting to 100.
But the rest of it is pointless and should never have been invented:
Graduating preschool, first communion, confirmation, going out after getting junior cert results, 18th birthday, school graduation, 21st birthday, college graduation, wedding, wedding anniversaries....
what's the point? nearly all traumatic things best forgotten or to be avoided completely.
Mother's / Father's / Valentine's Day are annoying nonsense.

My folks organised something small for 18th birthday without telling me. I wasn't amused.
Sometimes people don't want to made a fuss of and these things are done more for other people's benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back