Fuck football, let's talk cricket (1 Viewer)

I'm impulsively driven to defend it as the same criticisms are levelled against baseball which I've really started to love over the last three or four years.

out of interest, have you been to a baseball game?

I've been to 2. I enjoyed the first one immensely, but I think moreso because it was very sociable. I hated the second one. In both games I can recall very little of what actually happened. After the first game (San Francisco Giants circa 1998) I attempted to follow it a bit. It was difficult enough to do so from here with the high volume of games. American Football uses the phrase 'America's Game' but it always struck me that its baseball moreso. I'd liken it to hurling here, in terms of its place in national culture.

I haven't actually, they've only ever done games outside the US a few times. I doubt there's anywhere near enough support in Europe for even a single series. I initially started watching on ESPN here a few years ago and have gotten MLB.tv for the last two years. I can't keep up with the entire league like I do with the NFL as it's simply too much, I pretty much only watch SF Giant games and then maybe the bigger games once or twice a week. I couldn't even tell you the lineups of most of the teams in the league.

I went to 2 baseball games too. The first I have no recollection of, at the second time I had a great time buying hotdogs (and I think there was beer but I forget), chatting and shouting the stuff that was posted on the big screens for us to shout while nothing happened on the field. I might take this world cup opportunity to see if I can develop a passion for cricket.

Agree completely. But no one has offered a compelling case for it yet.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

On a geopolitical note, are Ireland in this world cup The Republic Of Ireland, or imaginary nation of Ireland, like they are in the egg chasing?

Asking for a mate.

On a geopolitical note, are Ireland in this world cup The Republic Of Ireland, or imaginary nation of Ireland, like they are in the egg chasing?

Asking for a mate.

It's the whole island.

Used to work with a guy whose passions were Dublin GAA, Glasgow Celtic and Ireland cricket.
Tattoos for each one and all.

On a geopolitical note, are Ireland in this world cup The Republic Of Ireland, or imaginary nation of Ireland

What imaginary nation? Isn't that The Republic Of Ireland?

Scutter doesn't like cricket. He loves it.

About 10 years ago I worked for this event security bunch for a brief period, and got to spend 4 days watching a cricket match at Stormont in Belfast. It was India vs South Africa, the full-on first teams from each country, and it was pretty good craic. Loadssss of Indian fans turned up and went mental at the end when they won, and had a pitch invasion so they could all try and touch Sachin Tendulkar.

I was in India during the first competitive match between India and Pakistan after the war in Kashmir sometime around 2003/4. The whole country nearly shut down. There were tellys wheeled out everywhere. People were ten deep on street corners trying to get a look at portable tellys. I also went to see India play Sri Lanka in a one day international. Baseball? Forget it!

It's the whole island.

Used to work with a guy whose passions were Dublin GAA, Glasgow Celtic and Ireland cricket.
Tattoos for each one and all.
I suppose they have the West Indies too. That's not a country.

Well, fair play to them anyway. I see the captain of the English team is an Irishman. That's weird, frankly.

Loadssss of Indian fans turned up and went mental at the end when they won, and had a pitch invasion so they could all try and touch Sachin Tendulkar.

I remember India were here about 15 years ago and the Indian lads I worked with at the time going down to watch them training. They couldn't believe they could get so close to lads who are national heros back home (and no one here has a fucking clue who they are).

A bit like that time Paul Galvin went to New York

I remember India were here about 15 years ago and the Indian lads I worked with at the time going down to watch them training. They couldn't believe they could get so close to lads who are national heros back home (and no one here has a fucking clue who they are)

last time the pakistan cricket team were in ireland, they paid a visit to castaheaney educate together in... ongar. mobbed.

Eoin Morgan used to play hurling.
big decision - earning several hundred K a year captaining England or
getting nowt for beating Kilkenny away or Tipperary by twelve points.

anyway they just began against UAE at the Gabba....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back