Frog-speakers (1 Viewer)

argh - i had it written out and thread jammed.:mad:

Ok, the jist is

Who needs an old-style pop record with Beach Boys/Zombies influences in 2005? Without a doubt, nobody. At least we'd get on fine without it, thanks very much. However, the debut album from Irish trio Michael Knight (one guy, two girls) has succeeded in winning over our jaded ears.

We definitely blame this on the two addictive opening tracks: Foals and Waves to the Shore are little melodic wonders full of little incomporable finds and are arranged with taste (the little organ riff that opens the latter, for example).

The use of choirs, male and female, is particularly successful and is present throughout the whole album (a real treat on the title track and on Bright Eye).

I'll do the rest tomorrow...!zed
Great review though!!:)

Here we go...

Who needs another old-fashioned Beach Boys/Zombies-esque pop album in 2005? Surely nobody. We could certainly live without it, thank you; but the debut album of the Irish trio (one bloke and two laydeez) Michael Knight, without offering anything new or completely original (even the title phrase is apparently borrowed from the playwright GB Shaw), has managed to seduce our jaded ears.

This is no doubt due to two addictive singles which come at the beginning: "Foals" and "Waves to the Shore" are small melodic wonders containing some irresistable touches (for example, the short organ riff that opens the latter) and arranged with taste. The use of male and female choirs is particularly successful throughout the album (and a delight on the title track or on "Bright Eye").

So it is difficult to criticise the fact that "Youth is Wasted on the Young" restricts itself to a slightly outdated kind of pop classicism, when the songs are so successful. Besides the obvious sixties influences (we won't list names of groups here), one can detect a hint of Belle and Sebastian on certain songs, notably in the singer's intonation.

Concluding with the six electrified minutes of "I did it Biff's Way", a break with the preceding 40 minutes of nostalgic pop, this album from Dublin is like a cousin of the debut album of Fugu from Nancy that appeared a few years ago. Which goes to show that you find the disciples of Brian Wilson in the most unexpected places.

websterrock.gif

I was kinda expecting a thread about these classy little critters

32460s.jpg

But well done on the review anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back