Friday 90s rock video thread (1 Viewer)

Sleezy Pete directed, no?

What did you make of the NIN cameo on that groundbreaking episode of Twin Peaks?

Worked quite well as a breather from the intensity of it all, I thought. Then lobbed back into that enthralling origin narrative...
Yeah, this, March of the Pigs and the Broken “snuff” movie were all direct by Sleazy. When I was helping organise the Coil archive, I found a bunch of production stills from Closer and I’m sorry I didn’t scan them at the time.

And I liked the NIN appearance on Twin Peaks. It’s one of a very few of those Roadhouse performances that I feel really worked in terms of the show. Trouble (Lynch’s son’s band) and Julee Cruise were the best for me but also loved the use of ZZ Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man” mixed at apocalyptic levels.

Yeah, this, March of the Pigs and the Broken “snuff” movie were all direct by Sleazy. When I was helping organise the Coil archive, I found a bunch of production stills from Closer and I’m sorry I didn’t scan them at the time.

And I liked the NIN appearance on Twin Peaks. It’s one of a very few of those Roadhouse performances that I feel really worked in terms of the show. Trouble (Lynch’s son’s band) and Julee Cruise were the best for me but also loved the use of ZZ Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man” mixed at apocalyptic levels.

ZZ Top mix was good, yeah. A lot of it left me cold. But accepted it, because the narrative was finished by that point in the episode. Like Lynch was just using that space to sell the soundtrack. Sort of a shoulder-shrugging element for me. But interesting in terms of a re-do of the original "soap-opera" piss-take elements. These random characters popping up who may have a tenuous connection to the main characters or plot [or a simplification of what you've seen]... but may as well have been farted out of Billy Zane's arse from the original. Shame he couldn't get some Zane in there. Think Zane would have been ready for it. Anyway, it felt like a piss-take of countless post-Twin Peaks shows, those plotless elements with asinine, albeit well-acted scenes.

Waiting possibly for Lynch to draw it all together.

Tonal reversal of characters from the original was the most unbelievable achievement, eg the Horne brothers.

And then there was one roadhouse scene which is still a head-scratcher. Hint it's later in the season. Classic Lynch head-scratcher.

I still have my cassette of this album. Some good songs on it, end of green is great. They were obviously big fans of helmet. They changed their sound on the next album. Went more indie. I love indie but the songs weren't great. It didn't sound convincing. Cornac Battle seemed to be going for a Rivers Cuomo geek chic look. I still like this though. (the video is a bit choppy)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

With all due respect G that's a fair stretch of the imagination to generate that response from that information without inserting at least one sarcasm smiley.

Like have you looked at the rest of the thread?

I have,I just find describing bands as "So white" which is always done in a negative way,and also without the use of a smiley to be very strange,so I don't find my response a stretch

Its nearly entirely a thread of white American bands, I don't think we have issues around negativity directed towards bands just for being white. I'd agree that track in particular was just every element of 90s white guy rock that was awful thrown into three minutes.

2 minutes research into the band flags that they had zach de la rocha on board for ten minutes (though this isn't in his bio) and you can hear how they just robbed that open D RATM intro and then broke off into 3 minutes of blandness just to cash in on someone who'd gone on to do something much more creative. pretty insipid to me.

I guess i'll just mope about for while.

I agree with Gary on this. Music criticized for being "too white" is ridiculous.

Who are you quoting with those quote marks though? As i said, its fair jump from describing generic white guy 90's american rock (which is exactly what it is) and saying "So music must be non white and non american to be good?". I don't think its a reasonable escalation considering we are at large a bunch of white guys discussing bunch of white guy 90's rock band in a thread of that title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back