Freezing dinners (1 Viewer)

You can pretty much freeze anything as long as you leave it cool down for a few hours first.

what are you talking about? i make you dinner every day, is there something wrong with my cooking?

If you didn't have to cook the dinner you could do other stuff like put up shelves and lift heavy things. I'm just trying to free up some time for you to do man work.

Veggie chili is great. You can make it in huge batches on a weekend, and then freeze it. We freeze it in different size dishes because sometimes we use it to make tacos, which requires less chili. I also freeze risottos. Moussaka also freezes well, and because a good moussaka takes hours and hours to make, you do a huge one when you have the time, and then you're sorted.

I also made these really excellent veggie bean burgers a couple of times recently. I don't know how well the mix freezes, but it keeps for a good few days in the fridge. We had them in the beginning of the week, and ate the leftovers last night, and they were fine. There's no dairy or anything that could really go 'off' in it, although beans do go rotten eventually.

The recipe seems weird, and I was hesitant to make anything that called for soy sauce and ketchup to be in the same dish, but they're gorgeous. Plus, if you soak your own beans, the whole recipe will cost around 50cents to make and it makes LOADS.

Chili Burgers:

1 cup chopped onions
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup grated carrots
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
3 cups (2 tins, drained) kidney beans
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons ketchup (or 1 tablespoon tomato paste/puree)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 cups oats

Fry the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add carrots, chili powder, cumin, cook for a few minutes. Set aside. Mash the beans with a masher until really mashed up, add soy sauce, mustard, ketchup, and onion/garlic/carrot mixture. Mix in oats, mix up well. Make burger patties out of it, cook on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes each side, or until browned. You can also bake the burgers, but I haven't tried that method.

They're actually quite quick to make, and when we made the leftovers last night, with salad and oven chips, the whole process took about 15 minutes.

I cooked enough dinner to feed all of the starving people in the world instead of just enough for today and tomorrow. It's roast vegetables with chicken and broccoli mixed up with pasta and pesto. Is that the kinda thing you could freeze? It doesn't really look suitable for it but maybe its ok...

I cooked enough dinner to feed all of the starving people in the world instead of just enough for today and tomorrow. It's roast vegetables with chicken and broccoli mixed up with pasta and pesto. Is that the kinda thing you could freeze? It doesn't really look suitable for it but maybe its ok...

It wouldn't be ideal for freezing. Roast stuff like the veg and chicken never truly recovers. You can stir fry it on the back end though.
I almost never eat pasta though, so can't really comment.

If it's in its own liquid, that's another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back