Free open source operating system, wha? (1 Viewer)

shower another shower

Have a mate thats done loads of work on my boiler. His girfriends yongfla's lappy has XP and sucks big time. He's only young and probably has no time to be worrying about virusesesas and that. wanna stick some sort of linux on it so he can surf and play some online games. What do I do? Thanks.

If there's a bit of space you should be able to stick Ubuntu on and leave XP as a dual boot option.

you can boot the computer with a live CD with no need to install which might give him an idea about the OS. I heard Knoppix but I have never used it.

I've tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu, but Linux Mint would be my recommendation. For a really shit machine try puppy linux. Amazing for such a small, fast, light package. Ubuntu can be a bollox on resources on older machines.

Are there Flash players for all these Linux builds? This lad is 12 years old and will be mostly using his lappy for online games and youtubing.

The end of XP support just means no more new security patches from Microsoft. Yes, there will be new exploits released, and they won't be patched by Microsoft*, and it's not going to be much fun for existing XP users (of which there are millions) who have nothing protecting their machine, but the sky isn't falling quite yet - the end of support doesn't mean XP will stop working, firewalls will stop firewalling or antivirus software will stop antivirusing.

* actually, they will be, since many enterprise customers and governments have paid up big money to maintain existing support with Microsoft. Whether the resulting patches will ever be released publicly is another matter.

absolutely, but my original point was you never want to be "that guy who deleted all my files on me"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back