Frank Zappa, improvising, playing a bicycle, with "prerecorded electric noises", on TV, in 1963 (1 Viewer)

I like:
Freak Out
Absolutely Free
We're Only In It For The Money
Hot Rats
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Waka/Jawaka
Apostrophe
Bongo Fury

Not so mad about:
Lumpy Gravy
Uncle Meat
Filmore East: June '71
Over Nite Sensation

...I've only heard fleeting bits of some of the other ones. What I've heard of his '80s stuff doesn't do it for me at all - having said that, I've not bothered to listen to any of the live stuff (You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore - is that the one you're listening to @Shaney?) I think the first album of his I got into was Hot Rats, then Apostrophe, then Weasels, and played those to death for about 5 years, before going off them entirely. Recently dug them out again, and have been listening to a good bit of the Mothers' stuff recently as well.

...I've only heard fleeting bits of some of the other ones. What I've heard of his '80s stuff doesn't do it for me at all - having said that, I've not bothered to listen to any of the live stuff (You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore - is that the one you're listening to @Shaney?) I think the first album of his I got into was Hot Rats, then Apostrophe, then Weasels, and played those to death for about 5 years, before going off them entirely. Recently dug them out again, and have been listening to a good bit of the Mothers' stuff recently as well.

The 80s live ones I like are Make A Jazz Noise Here, The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life and (just right now listening for the first time) Broadway The Hard Way. BTHW has lots of very dated political satire which isn't doing a lot for me. The other two are pretty decent though. Make A Jazz Noise Here was the first Zappa album I got, I picked it random from the large collection of zappa cassettes virgin used to have in the pre-internet days before I had anyway of deciding which tape might be a good one to get. It took me many years to warm to that one. The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life has a cover of Stairway To Heaven and the brass section play the guitar solo note for note. For me, from what I've heard, as the 70s go on i like it less.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back