Former Soviet Republic album launch August 20th w/ Big Monster Love, At Last An Atlas (1 Viewer)

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
Where: Whelan's Upstairs Venue
When: August 20th, doors at 8PM
How (much): €7 or if you'd like a CD as well there's a combo price of €15 for admission and album.
Who:

The Former Soviet Republic is the mostly solo project of I.H. Wright of Betaghstown Co. Kildare. Don’t concern yourself if you’ve never heard of it (the Google Streetview car didn’t even bother to go up the road where Wright lives), Betaghstown is the sort of place that most likely hasn’t heard of you either.

On August 19th Wright's debut album "The Former Soviet Republic Is Made Of This" will be released by the Mickey Goldmill Recordings And Antiquities Company. The majority of the recording was done in Wright's home but it was finished off in Paterson, New Jersey over a snowy February fortnight last year. Wright played most of the music on the record with additional parts being played/programmed by co-producer Tom Burns and Alan Tepper his bandmate in New Jersey power-pop outfit The Kimballs. Also, Charles Bissell (The Wrens/Okkervil River) played guitar one one song.
http://www.facebook.com/theformersovietrepublic

-----------------

Big Monster Love is the nom de guerre of a disgruntled North Dublin anti-folk pop merchant. He's been plying his musical wares around Dublin and elsewhere these last 5 or so years.
He cites as influences the Dubliners, CFTPA, Eels, John Prine, Half Man Half Biscuit, and Randy Newman. In 2011 he released his debut album "Game Over" on Abomination/Popical Island to minimal acclaim.
http://bigmonsterlove.band​camp.com/

-----------------

At last an atlas is the music of Greg O'Brien. Greg was born and lives in Dublin Ireland. Currently he writes and records music in the house he grew up in using an organ, synths, sampler, nylon string guitar, vocals, noises and field recordings.
http://www.facebook.com/at​lastanatlas

Re: Former Soviet Republic album launch August 20th w/ Big Monster Love, At Last An A

did you get vinyl version of the album made up?

Re: Former Soviet Republic album launch August 20th w/ Big Monster Love, At Last An A

This is killer, Ian. Great voice
Looking forward to this show

is that the wrens dude on guitar?

duh! read the blurb mark!

this is sounding lovely.

is that the wrens dude on guitar?

duh! read the blurb mark!

this is sounding lovely.

Thanks Mark, 'preciate it.

He does have a distinctive sound though doesn't he? The day (hour really) that he came down to the studio he listened to the song and asked me what I'd like him to play on it ... "errrr, anything you want to do is good I guess." Charles is in my favourite band, just having him the room was a bit of a headfuck. Actually thinking about it now I'm reminded of Ricky Gervais talking about doing Extras when De Niro came in to do his scene and after a few takes De Niro asked him for direction, if there was anything that Gervais would like him to do differently, fucking De Niro askd him. The guy who was producing stepped in and basically said to him, "just make it sound like you, do that chimey thing."

Here's the poster/flyer for the gig.

5960760943_3bd1bc72ef.jpg

Is that Betaghstown near Clane ?

I am looking forward to this, if i get a chance before Saturday I'll be purchasing a spangly new guitar, just for the gig.

the second one stood out a mile to me on the first listen, its quite a trip. its a moody record and i couldnt listen every day, but i think i'll be back to it. i mean that positively, in the same way that i dont read paradise lost every morning at breakfast.

the second one stood out a mile to me on the first listen, its quite a trip.

its a pretty amazing song. I love the narrative - just telling the story as it is. Yer man's guitar playing ain't so bad neither.

is the gig with a band, or just you by yourself?

be sure to turn it up real loud to drown out the saps in the smoking area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back