FOOD NOT BOMBS GALWAY IN TROUBLE (1 Viewer)

ri tarado

FOOD NOT BOMBS GALWAY IN TROUBLE

Last Sunday, 15th of July, during weekly Food Not Bombs event in the Shop street, we got some serious hassle from the community warden T.J. This guy picks up on us the second time. Last time it was on 13th of May, when we were still doing it on Eyre square. He came up and asked for permission, that we didn't have. After a little discussion we wrapped up. Next day, when we went to the city council, it became clear that we can not get that permission thing in any possible way – for that we need to get insurance for 6.4million euros (!!!!). As our principle is not to take money donations (only food donations), we can not raise this much of money (and, I think, even if started to collect donations, raising that much money would take ages and ages and during that time we couldn't put up the stall). We decided to go on without permission and had no trouble until last Sunday. This time community warden T.J. was just ridiculously picking on us, let me give you few examples – when they came and started the hassle, taking photos, I took my plastic gloves off, grabbed my camera and took a picture of them. They came up and said that I'm serving food without gloves and that is against food serving rules. I went around the corner to have a smoke, they called me up, I came to them passing behind the table and then they said that I was smoking behind the food table and that is also against the food serving rules. These are few examples, among other things they said that we must somehow ensure that no one drops paper plates that we use to serve food around the town. We provide to litter bags with clear signs, but that is not enough – warden saw two people going away with plates and he said that 'how do we know that they won't just throw them on the ground?' How fucking ridiculous is that!!! So, anyway, they took our photos and sent them to Gardas (i think they called them to the place as well), also informed food safety commission (or how ever fuck it is called) and told us that they are coming and that as we have no license we are in seriuos trouble. Being finished the food, we packed up and went away. Community warden T.J. promised us that if we are on the spot next weekend, he'll get us arrested.
So far we with guys are looking for an advice from local activists what should we do. If we don't think of any better way – we'll just come next Sunday and get arrested, if charged and fined, refuse to pay the fine and go to jail. Of course, we will inform all the possible media to be in the place of event.
If we go get arressted, it would be much better to have as many people as possible. If the cops had to arrest 10-15 people for giving away free food that would be a big thing and get attention and I hope would matter.
If anyone can give us any advice (especially former FNB collectives), please contact me [email protected].

insurance probably wouldnt be that expensive, those big multi million pound figures are worst case scenario payouts but the premium shouldnt be too bad.

there may also be a loophole re the food laws as you are giving the food away not selling it, you probably dont need a license for this - check with the environmental health officer with the local hse - ring the the health board and ask to speak to them - at least you will know where you stand. the warden has no juristiction re food at all, its nothing to do with him and you can tell him so, its the environmental person that has the authority in this area. licenses usually cover commercial things like chip vans, its very possible the legislation doesnt cover"free" food. check.

the litter issue is bollox, shops etc are able to sell things that have wrappring who knows where / if that gets dumped. basically if he has litter he can prove was from you then he has a case but till a litter crime is commited you can stand your ground and he can piss off.

TIME CHANGE FOR THIS SUNDAY!!!
due to galway arts festival parade, we'll start serving at 7pm, same place, shop st by the aib bank.
7pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back