Fontaines DC (2 Viewers)

this bit

Fontaines D.C. have cited fellow Dublin noisemakers Girl Band as a crucial influence, as much for their eccentric spirit as their abrasive sound. “Before that, the only way to sound Irish was to be fuckin’ ‘diddly-diddly-aye,’” Chatten recently told Noisey. “They modernized Irish music massively.” To wit, the band’s most heroic anthem, “Boys in the Better Land” may have been inspired by Chatten’s encounter with an Anglophobic Dublin cabbie, but it takes the form of a riotous, British Invasion-styled rave-up that frames distinctly local issues as universal truths.

Poor The Rags never got anywhere when they did it all a decade ago, albeit a big janglier. They're even quoting Joyce!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(@ann post had a thread about it at the time)

Poor The Rags never got anywhere when they did it all a decade ago, albeit a big janglier. They're even quoting Joyce!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(@ann post had a thread about it at the time)

NO THEY DIDN'T. GILR BAND DID

Richey James and Ian Brown in the background in that picture?

I'm sure i've heard of these before, that song ain't bad. It's a bit like the above bands with a Dublin accent covering the Ramones, which in fairness is enough ingredients at the same time to be a bit of a thing of its own.

This is who I was thinking of at the time LOL

The Ultra Montanes

I only just listened to them now. They're very samey,especially the vocals.
I then listened to Girl Band. I never cared for them,but they are better than I remembered,but also way better than Fontaines( pizza )DC

Always thought GB's rhythm section were good but never really took to the singer or the guitar, live anyway.

What are they up to now? Collectively I mean, the bass player is doing quite a bit of production work, but they went on hiatus to deal with some health issues I think and things have been quiet since.

Always thought GB's rhythm section were good but never really took to the singer or the guitar, live anyway.

What are they up to now? Collectively I mean, the bass player is doing quite a bit of production work, but they went on hiatus to deal with some health issues I think and things have been quiet since.
Do some of them occasionally play with Paddy Hanna?

Do some of them occasionally play with Paddy Hanna?

The bassist does, he also produced his last record (and has done the forthcoming Autre Monde record which I hope will be very good as I saw them play a bunch of new songs recently and was impressed.) AFAIK the 2 guitarists from Paddy's current band play in postcard versions and Badhands, the violinist is Dowry who I think is very good, the drummer, I dunno.

I love how to sound Irish all you needed to do was sound diddly aye or (in the case of Fontaines dc) sound like a watered down Fall. Blatantly ignoring the years of U2 wannabes.

Much as I can't stand them,yeah. Why does anything sound like where it comes from?

There's always little scenes of bands that have a distinct sound. At least there used to be,and often they are grouped together geographically. And it's been the case in ireland too.

It doesn't have to, I don't think (although I may be wrong) that anyone lectured Imelda May about misrepresenting the Liberties with her rockabilly, but the Fontaines DC clearly want people to hear them and immediately know where they're from*.

*Spain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back