Fontaines DC (2 Viewers)

"The most compelling Irish bass performance of recent years". Are there really people out there who give serious consideration to what constitutes the most compelling Irish bass performance of recent years?

What's the BIMM deal? Did they form / meet there?

A bassist definitely wrote that.

I think writing about how music actually sounds is no bad thing, probably better than writing about what you think the artists intent behind a song is. Also everyone loves a good bass line -

LongView
Love Cats
Dancing in the Moonlight
Gigantic
Airbag

Listened all the way through once. It's good but I think the strongest songs are the ones we already know. I also don't thing they're suited to 5 minute songs. I'm a little disappointed everything isn't ~2 minutes long (like the White Wires). 2 mins is the ideal length for a song IMO, especially for this pop-punk kinda things

I mean if this came out in 2003 they could have been our Strokes but teh kids are probably listening to Jafaris and Kneecap now. I fully support Fontaines. D.C. tho, good album, even if they're plastic dubs.

Actually looking at it again he says great bass performance rather than great bass line so I should shut up

"The most compelling Irish bass performance of recent years". Are there really people out there who give serious consideration to what constitutes the most compelling Irish bass performance of recent years?

What's the BIMM deal? Did they form / meet there?

don't know, but i think the Irish music press shouldn't shy from saying when things are coming from BIMM as its having a huge influence on music here at a lot of levels. I like the idea of putting so many creatives in close quarters, it reminds me of brill building type stuff. I do wonder about the accessibility in terms of who can really afford to go to dublin and study for a few years for a perilous notoriously unpaid 'career path' and what kind of fitration effect that might have on music over time. BIMMS are gonna be landing with everything together in PR terms on the press doorstep while people who haven't been through that mill might leave out obvious things - i think theres an onus in the press to see past that kind of stuff.

BIMM said:
2018 was a fantastic year for BIMM Dublin graduates and post-punk quintet Fontaines DC. The band joined the ranks of the highly revered Partisan Record label before signing with the Paradigm Talent Agency shortly afterwards. The company’s roster includes incredible acts such as The Black Angels , Brian Jonestown Massacre, Blur, Beach House and IDLES to name just a few.

The band even stepped into industry legend and radio DJ Steve Lamaq’s shoes to present a one-off 6 Music Recommends show on BBC Radio 6 and garnered favour from numerous tastemakers and press outlets in 2018 such as DIY, Dork and So Young Magazine. They were even included in the latter’s Top Ten Tracks of the Year with their single ‘ Too Real’.

..... i think theres an onus in the press to see past that kind of stuff.

Yes. That would of course assume that the press in Ireland who write about music are interested or capable of exercising some sort of criticality as opposed to simply acting as a branch of the PR industry though. I never imagined I'd miss Jim Carroll but y'know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back