Folk Horror (2 Viewers)

So I thought this was very good. A fun and enjoyably gory mix of The Wicker Man, Taxi Driver and The Evil Dead. Well worth a watch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So I thought this was very good. A fun and enjoyably gory mix of The Wicker Man, Taxi Driver and The Evil Dead. Well worth a watch.

this is still Dan Stevens' greatest performance

Just watched The apostle. I enjoyed it. It wasn't quite as pagan/folk horror as I'd hoped, and it was much gorier than I'd expected but entertaining enough. My brother despised it. Checked the reviews see reviews on IMDb and it really polarises opinion. I think it's well worth a watch anyway.

I watched this last night. It's great. Not really a horror film but more of a folk tale with elements of horror; like Pan's Labyrinth meets Jim Henson's The Storyteller

Watched this last week. Enjoyable. There seems to be a bit of a Basque revival going on at the minute. A few of the same cast as Handia (The Giant). Think I preferred the latter but both are well worth a watch.

Watched this last week. Enjoyable. There seems to be a bit of a Basque revival going on at the minute. A few of the same cast as Handia (The Giant). Think I preferred the latter but both are well worth a watch.
Must look out for that

watched Night Of The Demon over the weekend. British horror from 1957. Was a bit apprehensive about how the mood of this would be being from 57 but was pleasantly surprised. Genuinely eerie moments and some cool shots throughout. Adapted from MR James story Casting The Runes which I'm unfamiliar with. The score is what you'd expect from a film from this era but could imagine having the shit scared out of me seeing this back in 57 nonetheless
Night of the Demon handmade felt hanging decoration Curse of the Demon Halloween Folk Horror MR James

il_570xN.1681045899_dgdi.jpg

Not sure if this is technically folk horror but it features weird happenings in the bleak English countryside so I'll lump it in. Possum - Sean Harris plays a strange man who carries around a freaky puppet of a spider with a human face which seems to have some strange power over him and can't be destroyed and is possibly responsible for the murder of a young boy.

Visually this reminded me of Cronenberg's Spider, grim, British interiors with peeling wallpaper and mouldy looking furniture, the story and atmosphere were closer to Thomas Ligotti's unsettling short stories. It won't be to everyone's taste but it's one of the more interesting horror films I've seen in a while.

Oh, and it was directed by the guy who made Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and has a score by the BBC Radiphonic Workshop!

Last edited:
I never see it referred to as folk horror but The Curse of the Crimson altar (1968) has witchcraft & paganism & a big old house in the countryside.

Devils of Darkness (1965) has similar ingredients

I've seen Devil's of Darkness, it's good fun and the full film is on youtube.
I've never got around to watching Curse of the Crimson Altar. Must rectify that

I'm gonna stick this in this thread, i'm putting trust in the folk horror folk.

rarely buy boxsets these days but always enjoy a good one around xmas. picked up ghost stories for christmas a couple of years back, was quality christmas viewing. 70s filmed ghost stories in a winter setting. (majority of them if not all M R James stories) winter setting almost essential. any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back