Folk Horror (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
I'm gonna stick this in this thread, i'm putting trust in the folk horror folk.

rarely buy boxsets these days but always enjoy a good one around xmas. picked up ghost stories for christmas a couple of years back, was quality christmas viewing. 70s filmed ghost stories in a winter setting. (majority of them if not all M R James stories) winter setting almost essential. any recommendations?
There are some great UK tv boxsets. All of these look good-check the related items too

dunderhead

Threads
Would love to know if there are any non UK series from that era. Has to be some good shit out there somewhere

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Threads
Think I might cue up a ye olde schoole folk horror for tonight

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
Damn, that article is over a year old. i thought there was a new season on in the barbican. thanks for dashing my hopes
My pleasure. Wait a minute...
That link was all over Facebook this morning, I assumed it was new.

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
I finally got to see this Irish made Clive Barker film at the weekend

It's , um...not great, but there is the crux of a good yarn here; Christianity v Paganism, demon from myth and legend, rites and rituals, outsider stumbling across local mystery etc. The monster outfit is too silly looking and overall it's just not very well done but I think it's very enjoyable.

I'd love to see a remake. Don't show the creature so much, (do a Jaws on it). Up the whole 'villagers versus outsiders' thing etc.

There is a great radio documentary on the making of the film and its props on Newstalk.

The upcoming March issue of The Darkside Magazine has a feature on it as well as an article on Folk Horror

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Website
brainwashed.com
I finally got to see this Irish made Clive Barker film at the weekend

It's , um...not great, but there is the crux of a good yarn here; Christianity v Paganism, demon from myth and legend, rites and rituals, outsider stumbling across local mystery etc. The monster outfit is too silly looking and overall it's just not very well done but I think it's very enjoyable.

I'd love to see a remake. Don't show the creature so much, (do a Jaws on it). Up the whole 'villagers versus outsiders' thing etc.

There is a great radio documentary on the making of the film and its props on Newstalk.

The upcoming March issue of The Darkside Magazine has a feature on it as well as an article on Folk Horror

I’m reading Barker’s Books of Blood 1-3 at the moment and “Rawhead Rex” is coming later in the collection. I can see potential for a lot of good movies in the stories I’ve read if the right people were involved and the right budget was ok the cards. I was surprised that so many of them have already been filmed and, aside from Candyman, I don’t think I’ve seen/heard of any of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• Change
    Memory
    Cindy Wilson
    Change

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads