Folk Horror (1 Viewer)

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Website
brainwashed.com
Robin Redbreast is on Youtube, I'll give it a go later.

So the consensus is books > films? I've more experience with the films so must try some books, I'll see if the library has any MR James.
@Cornu Ammonis , you bought that folk horror revival iirc? Worth a purchase?
It's ok, some good essays in it but a lot of guff too. It's a very fancily bound fanzine really, so once you know that going in you should know what you're getting. There's a definition of folk horror as a genre/movement but it's pretty loose, will find and quote later.

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
I haven't seen 'The Witch' yet but it seems to tick all the boxes for fans of the genre. It also got mixed reviews from the general public so that seems like a good thing to me.

Did I already share the nifty 'The Devil Rides Out' poster I got recently?

prefuse

Threads
D
I haven't seen 'The Witch' yet but it seems to tick all the boxes for fans of the genre. It also got mixed reviews from the general public so that seems like a good thing to me.

Did I already share the nifty 'The Devil Rides Out' poster I got recently?

Cool. Didn't know you were a Brit horror fan johnny.

prefuse

Threads
I got hooked in the mid to late 80's.
When I was first let stay up late. I would usually end up watching 60s & 70s Brit horrors (hammer/amicus) carry on films or old Clint Eastwood films. I still love all those.

prefuse

Threads
Possible folk horror films?
Vampire circus
The beast in the cellar
Symptoms

dunderhead

Threads
this graphic designer dude is worth following on twitter for general horror recommendations/insights but seems to be particularly into folk horror side of things. Bought a cool Wicker Man print off him a few years back, pissed with myself now I didn't get the Field In England one also.
Richard Wells (@Slippery_Jack) | Twitter

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
this graphic designer dude is worth following on twitter for general horror recommendations/insights but seems to be particularly into folk horror side of things. Bought a cool Wicker Man print off him a few years back, pissed with myself now I didn't get the Field In England one also.
Richard Wells (@Slippery_Jack) | Twitter
I got these two. He did a beautiful Wicker Tree one too, but I haven't seen that film and based on what I've heard I don't think I could bring myself to hang it. That could change though.
wells.jpg
wells2.jpg

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
H also has a "Wrath of The Gods" one- the third part of the Wicker Man Trilogy apparently..

Ferox13

Threads
I wouldn't call quatermass and the pit a folk horror. Its set in the centre of london.
I initially thought that too. But wasn't there bits about the folklore of Hobs End talking about goblins, sprites etc haunting the area in the past. It might have been mentioned more in the TV series.

Yeah that poster of Devil Rides Out is amazing , I mght have to get that. I have reproduction of the US Quad poster in my front room (The Devils Bride).

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
image.jpeg

Death waltz records were meant to have released this a few years ago. I don't think it ever happened though

prefuse

Threads
I initially thought that too. But wasn't there bits about the folklore of Hobs End talking about goblins, sprites etc
There is, I just think a folk horror should have a rural setting.
I must rewatch blood on Satan's claw again, that ticks all the folk horror boxes.

Ferox13

Threads
I love Blood on Satan's claw - it has been ages since I seen it, so I am slow to totally sing it's praises. It is a fun, campy film though.

Witchfinder General is one of my favourites - I don't think it aged that badly. Tha Hallows (the one is set in Ireland) is another folk horror

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
I love Blood on Satan's claw

Great movie. Camp and silly but also genuinely creepy and disturbing bits; the bride to be going mad overnight, the rape scene etc. And Linda Hayden in the nip.

Ferox13

Threads
Has anyone seen Eye of the Devil (1966) with David Niven. I have to say I never heard of it til a year or 2 ago. It has very similar themes to the Wicker Man. It is worth tracking down. The film and its source material predate Ritual, the book on which the Wicker Man was based.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads