Fish (1 Viewer)

had them seaweed sausages from the fancy food shop on the camden st a few times. tasty.

last night i had something called warhou (i think it was called that). tasty. lately ive been gobbling salmon like it was endangered

Shaney, I'm not a big fan of blue cheese either, but a recipe I really like is a blue cheese sauce with pasta...definitely not for the healthy heart conscious.

Cook pasta something like the thick ribbon kind or fresh pasta goes nicely.
melt a knob of butter and about 200 grammes ,or a good lot, of blue cheese .. the butter will thicken your sauce. in a dry pan toast a good handful of walnuts. Chop a few scallions.
When blue cheese is all nicely melted and thickened a bit season well with salt and fresh pepper (careful not to over- salt though). throw over good handful of chopped walnuts and scallions.

super yummy and really quick.

Edit: think you might need a slosh of cream in there if it seems too thick.. can't remember whether I do or no, but can't be any harm if it's looking too thick!

Emboldened by my recent success in overcoming a strong dislike of fetid feta (i can tolerate it now) I decided that next i would learn to like blue cheese and fish. With this in mind i went to superquin and bought some salmon, gorgonzola and spinach (i already adore spinach) and made within the last 45 minutes or so, a pasta dish of salmon and spinach with a blue cheese and cream sauce (sprinkled with toasted pine nuts). It was absolutely vile. I suppressed the gagging reflex for three mouthfuls before binning the lot and making a ham sandwich.

I feel like giving up on fish again altogether. Is it just that salmon is manky? what about mackerel? or halibut? What fish should i try next?

Those are some pretty strong flavours there, no wonder!

Salmon is grand just wrapped in foil and cooked in t'oven with some lemon slices and capers. This foil-method is the only way I can cook fish in my flat and not stank the place out.

For really fancy fish-treat, try monkfish skewers - they are great on a barbecue or just grill them. Also scallops if you're being really posh. Don't need much cooking or mad sauces on these.

Forget the gorgonzola stuff for a minute and make a blue cheese dip from Cashel Blue and creme fraiche. Cashel has a crumblier texture and you can add as much or as little of the cheese depending on how strong you want it. Have this dip with fried chicken, it's yum.

And speaking of feta, it does vary in taste and texture. Never had much luck with supermarket feta's. Good Feta - creamy, salty, not smelly - is fab, Bad feta - rubbery, smelly, gross - make me cry.
So if anyone can recommend a decent feta.. do tell.

My girlfriend used to hate fish but I've gotten her eating Tuna steaks & Seabass which she now loves.

The main thing with fish is not to overcook it.
With tuna steaks, 2 minutes on each side is loads for me but I like to have it a little pink (just like beef steaks).

What do yiz think of this Pangasius? Supervalue have been selling huge big fillets of it for a euro - is it bad for you are they trying to get people to try it or what? It's tasty enough and just the right price for my new life on the dole.

What do yiz think of this Pangasius? Supervalue have been selling huge big fillets of it for a euro - is it bad for you are they trying to get people to try it or what? It's tasty enough and just the right price for my new life on the dole.

I think that all the fish we have heard of are close to being fished out, so we're getting all this odd gear now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back