Fish (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
Emboldened by my recent success in overcoming a strong dislike of fetid feta (i can tolerate it now) I decided that next i would learn to like blue cheese and fish. With this in mind i went to superquin and bought some salmon, gorgonzola and spinach (i already adore spinach) and made within the last 45 minutes or so, a pasta dish of salmon and spinach with a blue cheese and cream sauce (sprinkled with toasted pine nuts). It was absolutely vile. I suppressed the gagging reflex for three mouthfuls before binning the lot and making a ham sandwich.

I feel like giving up on fish again altogether. Is it just that salmon is manky? what about mackerel? or halibut? What fish should i try next?

Might not be a good idea to try and get to like blue cheese and fish all at once.
As a general rule don't buy fish in a supermarket, unless the best before date is more 4 days in the future. Also never buy mackerel in a supermarket

I think with most fish, less is more, as goes under ingrediants. Other stuff drowns the taste (maybe you'd consider that a positive). Maybe try salmon with just a little butter the next time. Stick it in the oven. Or if you don't like salmon try a different fish. Cod is cheap and nice. Here's what I recommend you do:

Buy smoked cod, spinach, some dill and a lemon. Squeeze the lemon on the fish and spread the dill on too. Leave it for a few minutes. Next put some oil on a pan. Fry the spinach with the fish. Eat with potatoes.

That's how I cook cod. Since you like spinach you might also like this.

seafood is my absolute favourite, with the one exception of salmon meat, which i cant stand. i do however love smoked salmon.
my favourite type of white fish is hake, which is very light but much more delicious than cod. i like it with a bit of lemon juice and black pepper.
as for shellfish, i love it all. crab meat is a personal favourite, like crab cakes. prawns are welcome in any dish here.
calamari, when its done right is absolutely delcious, however i havent eaten decent calamari yet in this country (same goes for other types of squid dishes, along with octopus and shark meat: all of which are lovely when done right, which is alas rare over here).
and i'll never get sick of tuna sandwiches.

and

try

The following is a list of fish available to the UK and European consumer which have been given a rating of 1 or 2 and which MCS believes are fished within sustainable levels using methods which do not cause unacceptable damage to the environment or non-target species. The list is in alphabetical order not in order of sustainability. (download the MCS Pocket Good Fish Guide (Adobe PDF)) 1. Abalone (farmed)2. Alaska or walleye pollock (MSC certified from Alaska)3. Bib or pouting4. Black bream or porgy or seabream (from Cornwall and NW and N Wales)5. Brown Crab or edible crab (pot caught off S Devon coast) 6. Cape hake (MSC certified from S Africa)7. Clam (sustainably harvested)8. Cockle (MSC certified from Bury Inlet, SW Wales)9. Cod, Atlantic (Organically farmed)10. Cod, Pacific (MSC certified)11. Coley or saithe (from NE Arctic and combined N Sea stock)12. Dab13. Dover sole (MSC certified from Eastern Channel)14. Flounder (from Cornwall and NW and N Wales)15. Gurnard (grey and red)16. Halibut, Pacific (MSC certified)17. Herring or sild (MSC certified from Thames Blackwater, North Sea and Eastern English Channel)18. Lemon sole (otter trawled from Cornwall)19. Lobster, Mexican Baja California red rock (MSC certified) 20. Lobster, Western Australian rock (MSC certified) 21. Lythe or pollack (line caught and tagged from Cornwall))22. Mackerel (MSC certified from Cornwall))23. Mahi Mahi (handline caught from targeted fisheries only)24. Mussel (sustainably harvested or farmed e.g. rope grown))25. Oyster (traditionally harvested from Cornwall) 26. Pilchard or sardine, European (traditionally harvested from Cornwall)27. Red mullet (not from Mediterranean)28. Salmon, Atlantic (Organically farmed) 29. Salmon, Pacific (MSC certified from Alaska)30. Scallop (sustainably harvested e.g. dive-caught)31. Scampi or Dublin Bay prawn (MSC certified from Loch Torridon, NW Scotland (not available in UK))32. Scampi or Dublin Bay prawn (pot-caught from West of Scotland)33. Seabass (line-caught and tagged from Cornwall)34. Spider crab (pot caught only)35. Tilapia (sustainably farmed)36. Trout (brown or sea and rainbow, Organically farmed)37. Tuna, albacore (pole and line, handline or troll-caught from S Pacific or S Atlantic)38. Tuna, skipjack (pole and line or handline-caught from Pacific (western & central) or Maldives)39. Tuna, yellowfin (pole and line, handline or troll-caught from Pacific (western & central) or Atlantic)40. Whiting (from English Channel)41. Winkle (sustainably harvested)

while avoiding

The following is a list of fish available to the UK and European consumer which have been given a rating of 5 and which MCS believes are most vulnerable to over-fishing and/or are fished using methods which cause damage to the environment or non-target species. The list is in alphabetical order not order of threat or impact. Select a species to find out more. (download the MCS Pocket Good Fish Guide (Adobe PDF)) 1. Alfonsinos or golden eye perch2. American plaice (from North Atlantic only)3. Anchovy (from Bay of Biscay)4. Argentine or greater silver smelt5. Black scabbardfish (trawled from Northern stocks)6. Blue ling7. Brill (from North Sea only)8. Chilean seabass or Patagonian toothfish (from non-certified fisheries)9. Cod, Atlantic (from depleted stocks)10. Dogfish or spurdog11. Dover sole (from overfished stocks)12. Eel, European13. Greater forkbeard14. Grouper15. Haddock (from Rockall only)16. Hake, European (from Southern stocks)17. Halibut, Atlantic (wild-caught)18. Halibut, Greenland (from overfished stocks)19. Herring (from depleted stocks)20. Ling (from deepwater stocks)21. Marlin (blue, Indo-Pacific & white)22. Monkfish or anglerfish (from overfished stocks)23. Nursehound24. Orange roughy25. Plaice (from overfished stocks)26. Rat or rabbit fish27. Ray (except mature cuckoo, starry & spotted)28. Red or blackspot seabream29. Redfish or ocean perch30. Roundnose grenadier31. Salmon, Atlantic (wild caught)32. Scampi or Dublin Bay prawn or langoustine33. Seabass (trawl caught only)34. Shark35. Skate36. Snapper (Mutton, cubera & northern red)37. Sturgeon38. Swordfish39. Tiger prawn (except organically farmed)40. Tuna41. Turbot (from North Sea)42. Tusk or torsk43. Wolffish

Stirfry some monkfish with loads a chopped tomatoes, chilli, cumin, turmeric, onion, lime and a thinly sliced courgette. Serve with rice and an old shoe.

Monkfish are gas.

monkfish.jpg

sometimes now i go for the fish option at work in the canteen and its generally nice but theres always millions of long hard little translucent things in it - are these the fish bones that you have to be very careful not to eat for fear of death? takes ages getting them all out... my grandaunt choked to death on a fishbone :eek:

recommended fish:

Barramundi: expensive and all but fuck it's an amazing fish.
Mackerel: so yum. try it grilled in a salad with a squeeze of lemon.
Salmon: fresh wild-caught salmon is so tasty. tasmanian salmon is mouth-wateringly good. love it served with grilled veg and mash. goes down a treat.
Seabass is gorgeous when steamed - the flesh flakes off. yum yum yum.
Prawns: pricey but amazing if fried in a chilli-lime get-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back