first day of christmas (1 Viewer)

jillface

Website
Visit site
the other day a friend of mine suggested christmas officially begins on december 1st. my argument is that december 1st is actually when december begins and december christmas.

for some reason i think it begins anywhere between the 7th and the 16th. i don't know why.
my mam would always wait until the second week of december to put up the tree so maybe that's where i'm getting it from.

if there's a specific day put aside for taking down the tree, is there one for putting it up?

then today i was thinking about the song The Twelve Days of Christmas. does that mean there are only really twelve days of christmas and therefore the first day of it is on the 13th?

cmon people, i've got a wager on this one!

12 days starts on 25th and runs until the 6th january (feast of the epiphany aka little christmas aka women's christmas). i think. billy?

Anyway everyone knows the christmas starts the day after halloween.

the other day a friend of mine suggested christmas officially begins on december 1st. my argument is that december 1st is actually when december begins and december christmas.

for some reason i think it begins anywhere between the 7th and the 16th. i don't know why.
my mam would always wait until the second week of december to put up the tree so maybe that's where i'm getting it from.

if there's a specific day put aside for taking down the tree, is there one for putting it up?

then today i was thinking about the song The Twelve Days of Christmas. does that mean there are only really twelve days of christmas and therefore the first day of it is on the 13th?

cmon people, i've got a wager on this one!

How did you make that not equal to sign?

307598656_09c0649e9f_b.jpg

according to an post "the moment you send a card,its christmas"

I always thought that it start on the 6th cause that's when some beardy guy with a stick starts skulking around the kindergardens in Germany handing out presents and scaring kids. In the netherlands he gets them on the 5th:
http://ancienthistory.about.com/b/2007/12/04/st-nicholas-december-6.htm

"The St Nicolaas is called Sinterklaas in the Netherlands and celebrated on the 5th of december. He has black helpers called Piet,every single one of them!!, and he is supposed to ride his horse on the roof. Though these days due to central heating he leaves his presents in the kiddies shoes every night from the 20 th of November when he arrives, till the 6th when he leaves unnoticed, near the radiators and back doors. On the 5th you get all the entire big presents in one big coaldust bag, probably set in the Hall way or near the outside door, accompanied by a lot of noise, made by all the Piets to help find the kids to find the presents.
The presents should be accompanied by a verse, telling tales about you behaviour (!) and where improvements might be necessary according to the grand old man. All tongue in cheek of course. The presents should be disguised as something completely different and the verse should be read out loud.
Also in the Netherlands, schools give st nicolaas presents, to alle kids and in the higher classes to eachother. It is quite a work of art, hardwork and lots a rebeginnings to get the verse just right. "

From that point on its ok to feel 'christmassy'

The traditional Christian holiday starts on December 8th. That's the official day of the Feast of the Imacculate Conception and it runs until January 6th (aka Little Christmas). This really only applies to the Irish & UK Catholic following of it though.

thumped doesn't believe in god and should rename it Sciency Fact Day or something

best of both worlds is what people want

"The St Nicolaas is called Sinterklaas in the Netherlands and celebrated on the 5th of december. He has black helpers called Piet,every single one of them!!"

i remember being utterly shocked when i first saw the swarte piets in the netherlands a few years ago. but then i learned they're black from having come down the chimney, which kinda makes sense.

it's still really weird to walk around and see grown men with black paint all over them. and one can find golliwoggs in practically every shopfront there too. i like to call it racist christmas!

here's the man himself with a few piets.
img_4576c3467c05c.jpg

How did you make that not equal to sign?

i have a special maths keyboard with all sorts of mathematical symbols on it.

Nah christmas doesn't start on the 1st, sounds to me like your friend works in the blanch centre.

The 12 days go from xmas day onwards.

Where oh where indeed did you find that not equal to sign!

!=

Should be good enough for yeh.
Jillface thinking she's great. Dropping that one in there. Lash in a bulleted list for the lads while you're at it.

Anyway. I'm not posting until I find out the ALF company line is on suicidal animals.
Like lemmings and fishes that swim into other fishes mouthes.

Punks... always there with the hard questions, and never with the answers.

yeah advent might settle it. that would mean that christmas started on november 30th this year, in which case, we were both wrong.
i guess we could use the cash to buy advent calendars for each other.

!=

Should be good enough for yeh.
Jillface thinking she's great. Dropping that one in there. Lash in a bulleted list for the lads while you're at it.

Anyway. I'm not posting until I find out the ALF company line is on suicidal animals.
Like lemmings and fishes that swim into other fishes mouths

Punks... always there with the hard questions, and never with the answers.
The only fish I've ever heard of that swim into other fish's mouths are those little fellas that hide from danger in their da fish's mouths.

As for suicidal lemmings, I think it's a myth.

Viva grave robbing!

≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠
CHRISTMAS IS CANCELLED. RECESSION/GLOBAL DEPRESSION/GLOBAL WARMING/AIDS

≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back