Captain America: Winter Soldier
The Two Faces of January
Nightcrawler
Locke
Gone Girl
Cold in July
Blue Ruin
The Sacrament

the only film I saw in the cinema was The Equalizer.

Was grand to pass a couple of hours and it would have been great if Chloe Moretz was in it a bit more (she was fantastic in the bits she was in).

Thats my contribution to this thread.

I didn't think it was a great year for movies, there were some decent documentaries like Jodorowski,'s Dune, Tim's Vermeer and Life Itself. That would it for me, saw Nightcrawlers last week and thought it was very over rated, wasn't grabbed by Grand Budapest Hotel either or much else really.

I think I actually dropped the ball this year and didn't see enough movies but mine in no particular order:

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Obvious Child
We Are the Best!
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Lunchbox
The Babadook
The Normal Heart
Under the Skin
Only Lovers Left Alive
A Field In England
Maps to the Stars
The Lego Movie
Jodorowski's Dune

Thats all I could think of!

I think I'd go mad if
I didn't go to the cinema at least once a month. I'd say on average I watch about 6 - 8 films a week.

I think I only see about 6-8 films a year. I like watching TV shows as I feel they're now better paced and would much rather listen to music and potter about than TV/films. Cinemas are a pain, too many people and too expensive.

I don't get this at all. Although, I'm lucky with The Lighthouse and tend to only go to Sunday afternoon shows.

What's not to get? You go to the cinema, you're surrounded by people crunching their nachos and slurping their drinks in between talking to each other or on the phone (even in the Lighthouse, load of noisy fuckers during The Shining on Halloween). And you spend a tenner each for the privilege.

Plus you go to any of the big commercial cinemas and the screens are organised by monkeys. Twice in Dundrum I've had to go out and ask them to focus the film. Plus a noticeable stink of piss from time to time. So unless it's a film I really, really, really want to see and it's in a decent cinema, cinemas can fuck off. It's not like going to the theatre or a gig where you feel you are experiencing a moment never to be repeated, home media has almost done away the need for a cinema. There are exceptions (I don't think Only Lovers' opening scene where the image spins to be as effective on a smaller screen) but I don't feel I'm missing much by watching it in comfort and relative silence at home.

What's not to get? You go to the cinema, you're surrounded by people crunching their nachos and slurping their drinks in between talking to each other or on the phone (even in the Lighthouse, load of noisy fuckers during The Shining on Halloween). And you spend a tenner each for the privilege.

Plus you go to any of the big commercial cinemas and the screens are organised by monkeys. Twice in Dundrum I've had to go out and ask them to focus the film. Plus a noticeable stink of piss from time to time. So unless it's a film I really, really, really want to see and it's in a decent cinema, cinemas can fuck off. It's not like going to the theatre or a gig where you feel you are experiencing a moment never to be repeated, home media has almost done away the need for a cinema. There are exceptions (I don't think Only Lovers' opening scene where the image spins to be as effective on a smaller screen) but I don't feel I'm missing much by watching it in comfort and relative silence at home.

Sorry, I phrased that badly - what I meant was , I don't have the bad cinema experience that often, if ever, anymore. I totally get what you are saying about mainstream cineplex type cinemas - they are a nightmare. That's why I stick to the Lighthouse or IFI. €7.50 in the afternoon. You can bring in a coffee too.

Don't go to the multiplexes. I wouldn't set foot in one unless the film I wanted to see was playing anywhere else

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back