Film chat (4 Viewers)

Little help.

A movie I watched fairly recently popped into my head earlier. And I can't remember the name of the bloody thing and it's driving me a little mad.

The gist of it was a friend (middle aged male) of a family goes to Italy (I think Venice or Rome) to try and find/track the daughter of said family who basically ran away from home and is staying with these petit criminals who live in a commune of sorts.

Can't recall what era it was made or even from what country it's from.
I'd guess 90s maybe. and possibly an American movie. Almost certain the main characters are American anyway.

Any idea?

Little help.

A movie I watched fairly recently popped into my head earlier. And I can't remember the name of the bloody thing and it's driving me a little mad.

The gist of it was a friend (middle aged male) of a family goes to Italy (I think Venice or Rome) to try and find/track the daughter of said family who basically ran away from home and is staying with these petit criminals who live in a commune of sorts.

Can't recall what era it was made or even from what country it's from.
I'd guess 90s maybe. and possibly an American movie. Almost certain the main characters are American anyway.

Any idea?
Dunno, but surely this is the guy

harrison-ford-patriot-games-768x528.jpg

Shopped this around with a few people because I was bored. The consensus is that it's a very common plot.

My two cents is that the family are British or French, semi-aristocratic, and their friend is an old American diplomat who's been living in that country a long time - best played by Robert Mitchum or Walter Matthau going up or down there in the tonal scale but both work in the avuncular range. If it's 90s, Robert Forster is yer man.

Anyway, he goes over - flirts with an air stewardess midflight with a gamey eye that matches his own ironical raised glance - but there's a sinister twist or a gradual accumulation of factors - this aristocratic family are involved in dirty money, or perhaps some sexual misconduct etc - which dawn on the Mitchum antihero, and well, who knows how it ends...Mitchum breaks a neck or two, flings a few lads down stairwells etc but ultimately helps the girl escape from her family... gets her on a boat to Shanghai or Bogota... the family at this stage have already hired a goonish duo of assassins to take out Mitchum after learning that he knows too much. Max Branning from Eastenders and Sean Bean would be nice for these parts - working class lads who are continuously conflicted about the whole thing... beavering in a subtle class analysis, and the futile scuffle between will and action in a mechanised society.

Shopped this around with a few people because I was bored. The consensus is that it's a very common plot.

My two cents is that the family are British or French, semi-aristocratic, and their friend is an old American diplomat who's been living in that country a long time - best played by Robert Mitchum or Walter Matthau going up or down there in the tonal scale but both work in the avuncular range. If it's 90s, Robert Forster is yer man.

Anyway, he goes over - flirts with an air stewardess midflight with a gamey eye that matches his own ironical raised glance - but there's a sinister twist or a gradual accumulation of factors - this aristocratic family are involved in dirty money, or perhaps some sexual misconduct etc - which dawn on the Mitchum antihero, and well, who knows how it ends...Mitchum breaks a neck or two, flings a few lads down stairwells etc but ultimately helps the girl escape from her family... gets her on a boat to Shanghai or Bogota... the family at this stage have already hired a goonish duo of assassins to take out Mitchum after learning that he knows too much. Max Branning from Eastenders and Sean Bean would be nice for these parts - working class lads who are continuously conflicted about the whole thing... beavering in a subtle class analysis, and the futile scuffle between will and action in a mechanised society.
Really specific little piece of info. The first time he sees her in the Italian city, she's scamming tourists outside a big museum/art gallery.

My 90s presumption might be off by the way

Please let her be a young Kirsten Dunst [to continue your 90s delusion].

If it's Sienna Miller, I'm out the door before the Paramount logo mounts on my sight and the hard door slaps my tiny ass. Slept with all the men in Hollywood? Good work. Good actor? No.

I see Noah Baumbach has directed an adaptation of Don DeLillo's White Noise with Adam Driver in the lead... mother of God, I really did not need to know about that.

Ain't a DeLillo fanboy - a wildly inconsistent writer for sure - or anything but adapting this seems like a real hiding to nowhere. If Soderbergh had done it in the 90s with Peter Gallagher or Michael Keaton in the lead with the antsy yap-machine that is Martin Scorscese as Murray Jay Suskind might have worked as a straight-to-video job.

Driver. He was fine as a loveable dope in Patterson, but...

Edit: Minor bonus ball possibility - Alessandro Nivola is in it... surely playing the Suskind character... and Don Cheadle... I pity these lads trying to act opposite Driver.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back