Film chat (5 Viewers)

Bored waiting in a client to send feedback, watching this BBC special on John Carpenter from the set of Halloween, which features him slagging off all his contemporaries. And Donald Pleasence saying he'd only seen one JC film before taking the role and he "didn't understand it". Imagine your lead actor saying that these days? Great stuff.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
How come the stewardess didn't float?
CLassic misdirection

b0gLh2C27clbWf0_SMerIbnOyBPCQ32MbCwZMWRgcnV0acYwYZx1REt_bOXvI_52fb1WHbR0TQMqSoQlsn36VzF_tnGqhDcxpFaBwVXOFQ

"COLIN GIBSON (production designer) I was in Namibia in 2003 when I got the call to stop spending money. I don’t know whether [the studio] decided to reroute their money back to the Iraq war, or if it was the email I got from Mel Gibson’s wife asking me how many Muslims there may or may not be in Namibia and, therefore, how interested she may or may not be in the whole family coming to visit."

That should be in the WTF thread.

Bored waiting in a client to send feedback, watching this BBC special on John Carpenter from the set of Halloween, which features him slagging off all his contemporaries. And Donald Pleasence saying he'd only seen one JC film before taking the role and he "didn't understand it". Imagine your lead actor saying that these days? Great stuff.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great clip, thanks for that

DO you think Pleasance comes off as being slightly embarrassed to be in a genre horror film? In fairness to him, JC had only made two films to that point.
He comes off very game tho.
Like even the interviewer is talking down to him a little "my kind of film-making by John Carpenter", but I think Carpenter shows him that clarity of thought.
And he's as candid about the shortcomings of Dark Star as he is about Spielberg. Close Encounters is kind of pretentious.

Carpenter is so clear in his thinking and about what he's doing - this is really great to watch, especially because it's contemporaneous with him just about to blow up, it's the straight dope.
Really deadly.

Anyone know who that presenter is?

Great clip, thanks for that

DO you think Pleasance comes off as being slightly embarrassed to be in a genre horror film? In fairness to him, JC had only made two films to that point.
He comes off very game tho.
Like even the interviewer is talking down to him a little "my kind of film-making by John Carpenter", but I think Carpenter shows him that clarity of thought.
And he's as candid about the shortcomings of Dark Star as he is about Spielberg. Close Encounters is kind of pretentious.

Carpenter is so clear in his thinking and about what he's doing - this is really great to watch, especially because it's contemporaneous with him just about to blow up, it's the straight dope.
Really deadly.

Anyone know who that presenter is?
Nah, sure Pleasance had done tonnes of horror before this. Think it sounds like Pleasance took the role because of the paycheck, hadn't done any research and was caught off guard by the interviewer.

I love Carpenter. Probably my second or third favourite filmmaker. He was at the top of his game here so every right to be a brash arrogant fuck. And slagging off the sacred cow Robert Altman. Love it

Nah, sure Pleasance had done tonnes of horror before this. Think it sounds like Pleasance took the role because of the paycheck, hadn't done any research and was caught off guard by the interviewer.

I love Carpenter. Probably my second or third favourite filmmaker. He was at the top of his game here so every right to be a brash arrogant fuck. And slagging off the sacred cow Robert Altman. Love it
Nashville is rubbish! Although he seems to like American Graffiti which I wouldn't be a fan of. He couldn't be more correct though in how Jaws stands up compared with Close Encounters.

Although he seems to like American Graffiti which I wouldn't be a fan of.
I read that as him not wanting to mention Star Wars or THX, as he likely thought they were shit - after earlier saying he had a preference for a type of monster sci-fi, not the quasi-religious.
But he can't directly shit on SW, cos he was far from happy at his own attempt at sci-fi at that point - so he says Lucas should make other types of movies like American Graffiti.

Maybe I am torturing the logic here.

But yeah, Jaws is a far better movie than Close Encounters.
I can't prove it, but Close Encounters likely gave us JJ Abrams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back