File recovery software for OSX? Preferably freeware/shareware. (1 Viewer)

plug

Website
www.outonalimbrecords.com
whoops... just emptied my fucking trash and there was something inside that I needed; namely a pretty important .fla file.

I'd like to do a quick disc scan to see if i can rescue the data before I resign myself to doing it again. anyone got any decent file recovery software suggestions? preferably freeware/shareware... help! thanx. d

whoops... just emptied my fucking trash and there was something inside that I needed; namely a pretty important .fla file.

I'd like to do a quick disc scan to see if i can rescue the data before I resign myself to doing it again. anyone got any decent file recovery software suggestions? preferably freeware/shareware... help! thanx. d

I'd like an answer to this too.
I accidentally trashed some digitized video, not a big deal as I still have the tapes. But I've no deck at home.
Recovering them (for free) would be deadly.

How long ago did you delete it, Ian?
When recovering a file, time is critical. If you realise you have deleted something important STOP USING THE COMPUTER!
Here's the dumbed down chain of events...

1-User deletes file
2-The space where the file was on the hard drive gets marked as 'OK for writing over'
3-You save a new file (or the computer saves a temporary file or whatever...)
4-Computer writes the files to the hard drive *possibly* overwriting some or all of your old file (this makes it much much harder to recover)

What these file recovery programs do is searches through the entire hard drive looking for files which have been marked for deletion but still have not been written over.

If the file was big and you've used the computer a good bit since deletion then the chances of a recovery are slim, especially if using a freeware program.

I've used it a bit since, but these were big video files, gigs worth

I've only saved a couple of kb's of project files since deletion.

Should have saved them externally in retrospect.

Like I said, I still have the tapes... So not that huge an emergency.

Still like to know what freeware/ paid stuff is out there

I could point you in the right direction with XP software, but I'm a recent Mac convert, so I know fuck all about recovery on OS X. Check on Google is my only advice!

edit: Though if you're running Bootcamp and Macdrive you could use XP software... though if you're looking at a few gigs from a while ago I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I disapprove of the whole bootcamp thing, but thanks for the suggestion... Its no biggie anyway, just wanted to save myself a couple of hours work redigitizing

Soon there will be Time Machine for Leopard - which will allow you to roll back your system / files to previous versions.
In the mean time there's something called Time Vault:-
http://lifehacker.com/software/top/add-file-versioning-to-your-mac-with-timedrawer-283960.php

This isn't quite the same as file recovery software, but it's handy nonetheless.

I ponied up for some overpriced file recovery software for Mac around 18 months ago - not great, but worked - forget the name, sorry. But when I checked there wasn't much by way of free file recovery software - for obvious reasons!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back