Fightin fussin marital arts thread (1 Viewer)

Actually didn't enjoy my own wedding much. Naturally refused to do the obvious thing and didn't do it in a church or a hotel and booked an originals band rather than a wedding band and made mixtapes rather than having a DJ blah blah blah. I think people enjoyed it, but all the organising turned out to be pretty stressful for both of us

Similar. We had a bluesy cover band to ease everyone in (though they played a couple of Sabbath songs with herself singing in her wedding dress, to keep her dad happy) and then our mates bands. I think she may have gotten paid as a promoter for it. The spotify playlist remains the go-to playlist to this day. Biggest takings the pubs tills ever had, we're very proud of that.

I just got fed up of being asked to spend a week in Spain or somewhere for this persons wedding or that persons wedding. And I didn't want anyone feeling bad for not being able to come. We're going to the pub, come if you can. I genuinely understand if you can't. So I thought it'd be as stressless as possible. Nah, it was stressful AF.

She did 99% of the work, but it was really stressful for both of us. I wasn't helping, and I wasn't allowed help. When the day actually came I just wanted to get through it and get on with things. Horrible really.

i was a passenger at the garden party we had; once it was decided it was in my in-laws' garden, it basically became my father-in-law's gig and i wasn't arsed about it so went with the flow. we had the registry office a few days earlier and my parents in law still seem a little put out if i refer to that as the day we got married.

Similar. We had a bluesy cover band to ease everyone in (though they played a couple of Sabbath songs with herself singing in her wedding dress, to keep her dad happy) and then our mates bands. I think she may have gotten paid as a promoter for it. The spotify playlist remains the go-to playlist to this day. Biggest takings the pubs tills ever had, we're very proud of that.

I just got fed up of being asked to spend a week in Spain or somewhere for this persons wedding or that persons wedding. And I didn't want anyone feeling bad for not being able to come. We're going to the pub, come if you can. I genuinely understand if you can't. So I thought it'd be as stressless as possible. Nah, it was stressful AF.

She did 99% of the work, but it was really stressful for both of us. I wasn't helping, and I wasn't allowed help. When the day actually came I just wanted to get through it and get on with things. Horrible really.
I am genuinely sorry that no matter how much people did things on their own terms that it still ended up being a very stressful day for some folks here. really respect yer honesty.

These wedding stories and observations deserve a separate thread

Some thread title suggestions:
Fightin fussin marital arts thread
I'll think of more later

A thing about "music-themed" weddings

I played in a rockabilly band at a Psychobilly couple's wedding. Everyone, bar the bride and groom HATED us. They went out of their way to look bored. The second we finished and the DJ put ABBA on, the dance floor was heaving.

I guess the first warning sign was when one of the attendees said " as long as ye play The Galway Girl..."

I played in a Johnny Cash cover band at a wedding where they asked if we could do Tina Turner and were pissed off that Dermot couldn't come up and sing his Robbie Williams cover with us. They also hated us.

Basically, your in-laws and cousins do not enjoy the same things you do, so don't force it on them.

Basically, your in-laws and cousins do not enjoy the same things you do, so don't force it on them.
A lot depends on your crowd and the band - we got married in our 20s and it was mostly friends at the wedding rather than extended family, and even though we had an originals band they were very much a party band (and naturally added in some covers for the occasion) and people danced their asses off

But yeah I've played at a few weddings too, and really what a large mixed-age crowd wants is a little bit of strutting around pretending to dance, and a whole lot of singing along. That's our culture, no point fighting it

I played in a rockabilly band at a Psychobilly couple's wedding. Everyone, bar the bride and groom HATED us. They went out of their way to look bored. The second we finished and the DJ put ABBA on, the dance floor was heaving.

I guess the first warning sign was when one of the attendees said " as long as ye play The Galway Girl..."

I played in a Johnny Cash cover band at a wedding where they asked if we could do Tina Turner and were pissed off that Dermot couldn't come up and sing his Robbie Williams cover with us. They also hated us.

a mate of mine who is into his music had the North Strand Klezmer Band as his wedding band. All bar about 5 of us were completely perplexed when they started rattling out traditional Balkan music. It was the best wedding I was ever at. He told me he was at a gig and they were the support, and the idea just popped into his head to go ask them would they play his wedding. They said that wasn't their thing but everyone has their price.

A lot depends on your crowd and the band - we got married in our 20s and it was mostly friends at the wedding rather than extended family, and even though we had an originals band they were very much a party band (and naturally added in some covers for the occasion) and people danced their asses off

But yeah I've played at a few weddings too, and really what a large mixed-age crowd wants is a little bit of strutting around pretending to dance, and a whole lot of singing along. That's our culture, no point fighting it
I've played a good few that went down really well. But the ones that bombed, bombed hard.

There was a difference between the mates' wedding and the completely professional ones. If those mates had a lot of like-minded friends it went well. It seemed that people who were really into music came from families that felt the same. So there was no pressure to play the same old Irish wedding karaoke shit.

We eventually stopped doing them, even though they could be pretty lucrative. It was just soul-destroying.

a mate of mine who is into his music had the North Strand Klezmer Band as his wedding band. All bar about 5 of us were completely perplexed when they started rattling out traditional Balkan music. It was the best wedding I was ever at. He told me he was at a gig and they were the support, and the idea just popped into his head to go ask them would they play his wedding. They said that wasn't their thing but everyone has their price.
Friends of mine had the similar British crusty outfit Tragic Roundabout as their band. What a fucking night!

Straying off-topic but I heard that the North Strand Klezmer band were asked to stop using that name after a Jewish organization tried to book them and discovered they were "culturally appropriating" the name

Wow really? I think only 2 of the ones I attended have ... or actually, one divorce plus one separation. Maybe there'll be more when people's kids grow up and move out I suppose.
i think i've just been to one wedding where the marriage didn't last. don't know if they got divorced.

i think i've just been to one wedding where the marriage didn't last. don't know if they got divorced.
i've been to three.

1. mate of my wife - guy involved was clearly a nasty bollix, not surprised.
2. cousin of mine - very young, lots of family interference - not surprised
3. cousin of mine (brother of 2.), very surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back