Fightin fussin marital arts thread (1 Viewer)

IMO one of points of being an atheist is a avoiding rights of passage stuff.
Atheism doesn't have a point, it's just accepting reality

When the first of my friends got married, and I found myself on a dancefloor surrounded by my buddies all wearing suits and fancy dresses and roaring out "why why WHYYYYYY Delilaaaaah", I had a bit of a freakout and had to go sit outside. It was the beginning of me realising that my generation was no different to any other generation

Enjoyed most other weddings I've been at though. I like eating and drinking and dancing and public expressions of love in the company of people I care about. When I was younger I thought we'd have done away with stuff like marriage at this stage, but we haven't. No point being a sore loser when there's fun to be had

When the first of my friends got married, and I found myself on a dancefloor surrounded by my buddies all wearing suits and fancy dresses and roaring out "why why WHYYYYYY Delilaaaaah", I had a bit of a freakout and had to go sit outside. It was the beginning of me realising that my generation was no different to any other generation

Enjoyed most other weddings I've been at though. I like eating and drinking and dancing and public expressions of love in the company of people I care about. When I was younger I thought we'd have done away with stuff like marriage at this stage, but we haven't. No point being a sore loser when there's fun to be had
Did you rock the boat?

In some ways the humanist wedding is truer to the traditional idea of a wedding. In pre-literate time the point of the wedding as an event was so that there was a public memory of their union. People years after could identify married couples because they could remember being at their wedding even though nothing was written down. I'd vie2 the humanist ceremony as similar, people's friends and family, their community, coming together to witness the union and being able to recall "they're married now, this is great, I'll remember this."

Having said that, I'm all for people picking and choosing what elements of the "you're the person I want to spend my life with, hopefully" thing. We're not married, have no intention of getting married, but we wear rings for each other.

i

yeah, a lot of things don't change much from generation to generation. hard to accept when you are young but that's reality.
they are not part of the problem or the solution - they are just living.

I have been to three weddings in 1984, 2005 and 2016 and enjoyed all three.
the third one (a friend) was non religious with a big reception. the other two were family and traditional, in a church etc.

I just don't get the contract part - the validation of a relationship by church or state.
it should only be a symbolic thing.
all aspects of co habitation (inc two old brothers or whatever) should be dealt with individually (next of kin, power of attorney, inheritance, taxation, ANY benefits, pensions etc stuff).

having said all that I always say -
if you are treating people with respect and they reciprocate this. then KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON.
you certainly don't need to justify anything to the likes me.

This is something that we have discussed, re later in life, telling her that I'd rather have her making the next of kin medical decisions for me and not my sister or one of her kids.
also, I have no problem being married, but the thoughts of actually getting married are too horrific for it ever to happen

Having said that, I'm all for people picking and choosing what elements of the "you're the person I want to spend my life with, hopefully" thing. We're not married, have no intention of getting married, but we wear rings for each other.

I'm not getting married unless its tax effective to do so
Make sure you’re willed up etc. The law/revenue/inheritance rules don’t give a shit about your views on marriage.

Make sure you’re willed up etc. The law/revenue/inheritance rules don’t give a shit about your views on marriage.

I really should update mine. At present nearly everything I have is due to go to my nephew, my sister has had another kid since then so my niece is cut out.. And in any case I've someone else now who should probably be getting whatever stuff and assets I have.

also, I have no problem being married, but the thoughts of actually getting married are too horrific for it ever to happen
Actually didn't enjoy my own wedding much. Naturally refused to do the obvious thing and didn't do it in a church or a hotel and booked an originals band rather than a wedding band and made mixtapes rather than having a DJ blah blah blah. I think people enjoyed it, but all the organising turned out to be pretty stressful for both of us

Actually didn't enjoy my own wedding much. Naturally refused to do the obvious thing and didn't do it in a church or a hotel and booked an originals band rather than a wedding band and made mixtapes rather than having a DJ blah blah blah. I think people enjoyed it, but all the organising turned out to be pretty stressful for both of us
I'd be ok with sneaking off, doing a registry office, without making a song and dance about it. It's the thoughts of others making a big deal out of it that gives me anxieties.

I've kinda come to the point that for younguns getting married it's actually a good thing to make them do this horrific organisational thing in public just like the leaving cert, i.e. if you can drag yourself through that you'll probably be grand down the line. Not much value in people my age having similar functions when like, you've done lots of crap already aren't just fresh out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back