FIFA corruption and dodginess thread (1 Viewer)

7 - No tomorrow

Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
Good sleuthing here from Kevin Draper at Screamer

What The Hell Is FIFA Doing With The 2026 World Cup Media Rights?

FIFA have handed over the 2026 TV rights to Fox in the US without an open bid. Just your standard off-the-peg corruption you might think.

But what it probably means is that it is a sop to Fox so they won't be mad (i.e. sue) when the Qatar World Cup gets switched to winter.

The other strange thing is that the rights were awarded at this time at all. The American television rights to the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were awarded in October 2011, almost a year after FIFA announced where they would be hosted. But the host of the 2026 World Cup has yet to be chosen, and isn't expected to be until 2017. Fox and Telemundo bid on, and were awarded, these rights without even knowing where the World Cup would be played.
But if we assume that FIFA awarded the rights via this convoluted process for some reason, and not because they are 100 percent incompetent, what is that explanation? The current theory being bandied about is that this presages an announcement that the 2022 Qatar World Cup will be moved to the winter. The average summer temperature in Doha is around 95 degrees, with highs regularly hitting 120. While the Qatar bid promised the construction of stadiums with fancy air conditioning technology, FIFA put together a task force to study possible alternative dates.

When Fox bid on the 2022 World Cup rights, they assumed they were bidding on a marquee summer event, that would be up against only baseball on the American sporting calendar. Instead, if the World Cup is moved to the winter, it will be up against the NFL and NCAA football—both of which Fox itself broadcasts. There are a number of obstacles to a winter World Cup, including European leagues that don't want to either take a two month break or have dozens of players miss a quarter of the season, but Fox's concerns (and potential lawsuit?) are one of the biggest.

So did FIFA silver platter the rights to broadcast the 2026 World Cup to Fox (and Telemundo) in exchange for their silence when the Qatar World Cup is eventually moved to the winter? It seems a bit tin foil hat, but then again, tin foil hat is probably the right attitude to have when discussing FIFA.

This kinda qualifies under the 'dodginess' of the thread title, but apparently the FAI rules allowed for Bohs to field a 14-year-old last night
Which surprised me as much as Bohs fielding a 14-year-old

14 seems too young, but that said, there are some 14-year-olds with cop and his Dad was a player
I used to go to work with my Dad at 14

I can see why people would be pissed off about this

What does @Unicron think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back