favourite apples (1 Viewer)

Oh yes, I like Fujis as well, yum yum. I have just polished off a Pink Lady.

Golden Delicious can also be lovely, but only if they're fresh and crunchy and not cold stored for ages.

kirstie said:
Oh yes, I like Fujis as well, yum yum. I have just polished off a Pink Lady.

Golden Delicious can also be lovely, but only if they're fresh and crunchy and not cold stored for ages.

Golden Delicious are great when fresh, but seem to be sold precisely because they rot so discreetly, and so, consequently, you have a slim chance of finding a fresh one.

Fujis are like a poor man's Pink Lady, but are still heavenly. Empire apples are also best at their crunchiest, but when they are....oh, m'lady! Every once in a while, you end up with a floury Granny Smith, which is crap, but when they're super-crunched, they rock, too.

Also, I'm a big, big fan of the McIntosh apple, which you can almost never get here. They're kind of in a class of their own, though, since the thing I always liked about them (apart from being tasty and super fresh, due to being a local crop) was going to fruit farms and picking them myself. You buy them by the bushel, and then you go home, and you're like, "Jesus, what the fuck am I going to do with three bushels of apples?!" But you're still all like, "Damn, how about them apples?"

Never had these McIntosh apples of which you speak, but we used to go to some orchard near Peamount when I was a kid and pick them off the trees. Yum yum. Apples, an un-guilty pleasure.

jane said:
Also, I'm a big, big fan of the McIntosh apple, which you can almost never get here. They're kind of in a class of their own, though, since the thing I always liked about them (apart from being tasty and super fresh, due to being a local crop) was going to fruit farms and picking them myself. You buy them by the bushel, and then you go home, and you're like, "Jesus, what the fuck am I going to do with three bushels of apples?!" But you're still all like, "Damn, how about them apples?"

I don't like Pink Ladies, way too sweet.
When I lived in Hull the veg shop had about 10 varieties of apples, changed every week as different ones came into season, nicest one I ever had there was a "Fantastic", yum yum. I think Cox's are about the nicest standard apple, if you're growing your own Laxton's Superb is hard to find but smashing. Had some Italian Golden Delicious in Spring last year that had been stored (not cold stored, stored in paper or straw I think) over winter and were gorgeous - they had dried a little so were kinda crinkly and real yellow but with a super-intense sweet apple flavour. Dublin Food Co-op is great for apples, they always have loads of varieties

After I murdered my family I buried them out the back and planted an apple tree in each of their graves. Now when friends come over I give them homemade apple crumble.

bu-wah-ha-ha-ha-haaa!

egg_ said:
I don't like Pink Ladies, way too sweet.
When I lived in Hull the veg shop had about 10 varieties of apples, changed every week as different ones came into season, nicest one I ever had there was a "Fantastic", yum yum. I think Cox's are about the nicest standard apple, if you're growing your own Laxton's Superb is hard to find but smashing. Had some Italian Golden Delicious in Spring last year that had been stored (not cold stored, stored in paper or straw I think) over winter and were gorgeous - they had dried a little so were kinda crinkly and real yellow but with a super-intense sweet apple flavour. Dublin Food Co-op is great for apples, they always have loads of varieties

egg knows his apples.

there's another sentence you never get to say. I like thumped today.

Anyone try asian apples? think that's what they're called. A cross between an apple and a pear. I'm not a big apple fan but these are really good. You get them in Greystones dunno where else.

kirstie said:
is this down on Pearse St of a weekend?
Yep - St. Andrew's Community Centre on Pearse St on Saturdays, open around 10, shuts around 3. If you're into your food at all you should go there regularly, there's a funny atmosphere in the place (kinda nutty right-on middle-class vegetarian) and it's kinda expensive but it's so worth it - damn near everything is organic and you'll find stuff you just wouldn't get elsewhere like Almond Butter and Cashew Butter, jars of blueberries, seaweed, all sorts of cakes and breads, all sorts of flour, organic wine and of course a fantastic selection of organic fruit and veg, not just your locally grown turnips either but mangoes and pineapples and fragrant grapes and whatnot. I really miss it now I've moved to the sticks, supermarket fruit really is tasteless in comparison

Get there early-ish if you can, before the early-rising parents swipe all the nice fruit for their offspring

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back