Favorite Star Trek TNG Baddies (1 Viewer)

at the end of the day, they all started life as a Subspace Anomaly before moving onto more specific things

Armus the talking tar pit!

TNG122.jpg

210px-Armus.jpg

my hero!

It wasn't Data's ma. Data only had a da, Nunian Seung (spelling is wrong. Her son died in the colony that Data and Lore were built in. I thought the Sheliak were good cos they were actually a wee bit different.

Unless I'm confusing her with someone else, it turns out that she was also an android. One of much better design than Lore or Data.

Anyway, saying "The Klingons" is a bit racist when you're talking about badguys. You need particular character names.
What about Lursa and B'etor, the minging klingon slappers?
As for Cardassians, what about Gul Dukat?

What about the Obsiddian Order, The Orion Syndicate, or the CIA style Federation badguys in DS9 (Sector 32 I think??)?
Or the bugs that crawled inside everyones heads and made them eat maggots?

Even the Risans had that mind control video game...

And what about the Dominion soldiers, junkie muscle men from the far side of the galaxy?
And the changlings.
Or the dude who kidnapped Data and owned 3 T4 disruptors? He ended up showing us all that capital punishment is perfectly logical and OK.

Loads of deadly badguys.

What a great show. Some of the earlier seasons have dated badly, but you can still look at em and laugh. And ultimately that's what Trek was about, good camp fun which could be taken as serious or as light as you liked.

Unless I'm confusing her with someone else, it turns out that she was also an android. One of much better design than Lore or Data.

Anyway, saying "The Klingons" is a bit racist when you're talking about badguys. You need particular character names.
What about Lursa and B'etor, the minging klingon slappers?
As for Cardassians, what about Gul Dukat?

What about the Obsiddian Order, The Orion Syndicate, or the CIA style Federation badguys in DS9 (Sector 32 I think??)?
Or the bugs that crawled inside everyones heads and made them eat maggots?

Even the Risans had that mind control video game...

And what about the Dominion soldiers, junkie muscle men from the far side of the galaxy?
And the changlings.
Or the dude who kidnapped Data and owned 3 T4 disruptors? He ended up showing us all that capital punishment is perfectly logical and OK.

Loads of deadly badguys.

too many. im not going to bother putting in a poll now

Anyway, saying "The Klingons" is a bit racist when you're talking about badguys.

Worf’s Journey of Blackness Part I

The Tragic Mulatto

Admittedly, it’s difficult to have discussions about race (made doubly so if you’re prone to use words like nigrescence or ontological blackness). People have defense mechanisms, walls, and quick triggers on the issue that often make constructive dialogue exasperating. However, as metaphor, such discussions are relatively safe when viewed through the prism of science fiction or fantasy (unless the topic of cultural appropriation comes up, then hold onto your Sorting Cap).

I am firmly on record as saying that Star Trek: DS9 is the best of the Star Trek iterations (this is a deal-breaker point with me and I will judge your intelligence and your family’s honor based on whether or not you agree with me). And yes I once described Captain Sisko as Black Jesus. Appearing in more Star Trek episodes than any other character is Lt. Commander Worf, first on The Next Generation, then on Deep Space Nine. As you watch the episodes which centered around him, especially in The Next Generation, you can see that his journey towards what we’ll call ontological Klingon-ness mirrors that of any search for racial/cultural identity.

Worf quite doesn’t fit the category of magical Negro, but a case could be made for him being the “tragic Mulatto”. Trapped between cultures, often kept in his place if not outright neutered by Star Fleet, half the time he comes across as a mascot for the Federation (“look how progressive we are. We let one in!”).

Let’s see how well he follows the journey of Klingescence:

Pre-Encounter

“As I watched Worf, it was like looking at a man I had never known.” –Captain Pikard “(“Heart of Glory”)

Born Worf, Son of Mogh, his parents were killed by the Romulan attack on the Khitomer outpost before the age of inclusion (when he is formally accepted by his people). Adopted by a human couple, he was raised as one of them, learning their ways, and eventually joined the Starfleet Academy. Thus he was hardly among any of his own kind, he didn’t understand them. To fit in, he was asked to change the one thing about him he couldn’t change: his Klingon nature. Too Klingon for humans, too human for Klingons, he was often shunned by both sides.

Worf was a Klingon in name only, perfectly assimilated into the Federation. Colorless, or rather, raceless (race being a matter of accident of birth), it “didn’t matter” to the Federation (except that they could count him as a Klingon statistic). Even Captain Pikard once remarked that “I think it is best to remain ignorant of certain elements of the Klingon psyche.” (“Where Silence has Lease”). Worf existed in essentially a state of non-being.

“Worf is feeling culturally and socially isolated.” –Wesley (“Icarus Factor”)

Typically in this stage of their journey, individuals downplay the importance of race in their lives and focus more on their membership in other groups. Cut off from going to school with his people, cut off from working with his people, all Worf was left with desperate attempts to bond where he could. He made Jeremy Astor his brother through the R'uustai ceremony (“The Bonding”).

In the episode “The Emissary”, he re-kindles a relationship with K’Ehleyr, the mixed heritage (half-Klingon/half-human) woman who also was trapped between cultures. Unlike Worf who initially appeared adrift culturally, she had long sunk into a spiral of self-hate. During an encounter with her “kindred spirit”, the half human/half Betazoid Deanna Troi, the two have diametrically opposed views of themselves. While they each experience the richness and diversity of two worlds, Deanna saw herself as getting the best of each, while K’Ehleyr saw herself as receiving the worst of each. Her Klingon side terrified her and she didn’t like it at all. Part of her self-hate gets passed along to their son, Alexander Rozhenko.

The problem is the negation of cultural identity: his Klingoness is part of who he is. To reject, dismiss, ignore it is to do the same to part of him … even if he is doing it to himself.

Encounter

“Listen to the voice of your blood. You are not of these people.”

The second stage in this journey of Klingoness is when an individual encounters an experience that causes them to challenge their current feelings about themselves and their interpretation of the condition of themselves and their people against/within the mainstream of society. The Encounter experience is one that is so foreign to individuals' previous worldview regarding their cultural identity that it forces them to rethink their attitudes about their culture. The danger inherent danger is that few things can potentially shatter a person like having their worldview collapse.

Probably the most important episode for Lt. Worf came during the nearly unwatchable first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation. In “Heart of Glory,” he encounters some injured Klingons on a freighter in the Neutral Zone on a mission to seek glorious battles. One of the survivors, Korris, asks Worf to explain his reason for joining Starfleet. Worf explains how after the Romulans attacked the Khitomer outpost, he was left for dead in the rubble. A Starfleet officer found him and took him to Gault to raise him as a son. With his trimmed hair and civilized look, especially when seen alongside “native” Klingons, all of them realize Worf hasn't spent much time among his own kind. Worf doesn’t know his culture, his rituals, and doesn’t know what it means to be a true Klingon. The words “have they tamed you?” haunt him. Though this won’t be the first time he hears from the “More Klingon than Thou” crowd, they would prod him onto a path of self-exploration.

Their words fire his soul. Now he has a taste of his own people, a place he’s meant to belong. And thus he goes on a pursuit of “ontological Klingon-ness”.

[to be continued]

http://www.mauricebroaddus.com/2009/03/worfs-journey-of-blackness-part-i

The best one ever was that thing that took over people's personalities - direct rip off of the thing in Wrath of Khan - but at the end Picard and Ryker actually blew the guys head off and loads of scorpion things came out of him! At four in the afternoon! It was gory as fuck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back