Favorite Cover Version (2 Viewers)

Many moons ago i borrowed an album with David Bowie doing a live cover version of Nine Inch Nails' Reptile on it. Smashing stuff, but i haven't been able to find it since.

at the mo' it's John Cale - All my friends (the LCD Soundsystem tune)

what's that on?

The Fall have done some deadly covers
eg
- War (Henry Cow)
- Legend Of Xanadu (hmm, I forget)

This Mortal Coil, naturally
- Kangaroo (Big Star)
- Another Day (Roy Harper)
- You And Your Sister (Chris Bell)
- I Am The Cosmos (Chris Bell)
- Sixteen Days - Gathering Dust (Modern English)

'All Along The Watchto-'....nah...

Robert Wyatt does the definitive version of Elvis Costello's 'Shipbuilding' for me, Maneesh.

no way the original is far better. the song doesn't suit his voice imho.

Cat Power - I Found a Reason by the Velvet Underground
REM - Crazy by Pylon
Cap'n Jazz - Take on Me by a-Ha
Nirvana - Oh Me by the Meat Puppets
Elliott Smith - Thirteen by Big Star
Iron and Wine - Waiting for Superman by the Flaming Lips

"Dogged work" by Manly Striving. Forget who did the original.

I can't believe somebody de-repped me for this!

For your information, I didn't make it up, and I DO respect you.

The song is probly best known for it's use in the central montage from the film "the secret of my success". If you look closely, the guy that Michael J Fox hi-fives in the middle of the sequence is Manly Striving in a cameo appearance. The sax solo is immense. Easily Tim Capello's finest moment.

no way the original is far better. the song doesn't suit his voice imho.

Robert Wyatt's version isn't really a cover anyway, seeing as Costello plays on it and I think it was released before Costello's version appeared on Punch The Clock.

Robert Wyatt's version isn't really a cover anyway, seeing as Costello plays on it and I think it was released before Costello's version appeared on Punch The Clock.

that's weird coz Costello doesn't actually play on his version. He co-wrote it with Clive Langer as far as i know...

robert wyatts version of shipbuilding was the original - i know he didnt write it but yer man (?) wrote the music for wyatt to sing over and costello wrote the words for it so its not a cover version really. sorry guys, back to the drawing board.

i always felt that that song summed up in 3 minutes what the whole of pink floyds "the final cut" album failed to get to grips with, even though that is a wonderful album.

edit: bah! stealing my thunder...

Speaking of Elvis C - What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding is a bleedin' brilliant cover of Nick Lowe's tune.
I'm not too gone on some of his other covers, though 'Good Year for the Roses' is nice.
Radiohead do a rubbish cover of a half-assed EC song - 'I'll Wear It Proudly'.

I had dEUS doing thirteen by big star too. was nice.

Honourable mention for Stoat - Teddy Bear's Picnic.

Speaking of Elvis C - What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding is a bleedin' brilliant cover of Nick Lowe's tune.
I'm not too gone on some of his other covers, though 'Good Year for the Roses' is nice.
Radiohead do a rubbish cover of a half-assed EC song - 'I'll Wear It Proudly'.

so is 'I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down'.class tune.

in fact, he's never had a number 1 with a self-penned song. Oliver's Army only made it to no2.there's your bit of trivia for the day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back