Farewell TXFM; welcome... (1 Viewer)

Tbh if I was listening to the radio I'd be more likely to go to Nonstop 90s or even Sunshine FM before settling the dial on TXFM. I am officially old I think.

I'm sorry to hear this news but isn't it the same thing as happened when Phantom bit the bullet. Obviously, its terrible for the 6 permanent employees, and the whole range of contracted employees.

But, its not surprising at all. I've been dipping in and out of shows other than those I'd frequently listen to. Bland, bland, bland. I'm not surprised no one listens. By playing the same handful of bands/songs on rotation, they've dug this hole for themselves.

Once one of the main DJs goes away theres nobody of note to stand in. It seems to always be fucking John Cadell, who's a grade A wanker, or Paul Donegan who, though he seems like the nicest lad in the world, just isn't interesting.

One thing I am sad about though is that they seemed to be increasing the number of female DJs on their schedule. Last monday for example, it seemed mostly female presenters. All my favourite radio DJs are female, for some reason.

I'm no radio expert, but why not change the demographic ever so slightly by adopting an approach like BBC 6music where you approach people known in the music industry to present shows. I thought about this recently, but it seems theres little room for the likes of Donal Dineen, Dave Fanning and Jim Lockhart, all hugely knowledgeable about music, on radio today. Imagine a radio station driven by the likes of those, or with presenters the likes of those. It'd be a slightly older audience they'd appeal to but I couldn't imagine it wouldn't be great. Maybe the Irish market is just to small for anything that niche to work.

I'm sorry to hear this news but isn't it the same thing as happened when Phantom bit the bullet. Obviously, its terrible for the 6 permanent employees, and the whole range of contracted employees.

But, its not surprising at all. I've been dipping in and out of shows other than those I'd frequently listen to. Bland, bland, bland. I'm not surprised no one listens. By playing the same handful of bands/songs on rotation, they've dug this hole for themselves.

Once one of the main DJs goes away theres nobody of note to stand in. It seems to always be fucking John Cadell, who's a grade A wanker, or Paul Donegan who, though he seems like the nicest lad in the world, just isn't interesting.

One thing I am sad about though is that they seemed to be increasing the number of female DJs on their schedule. Last monday for example, it seemed mostly female presenters. All my favourite radio DJs are female, for some reason.

I'm no radio expert, but why not change the demographic ever so slightly by adopting an approach like BBC 6music where you approach people known in the music industry to present shows. I thought about this recently, but it seems theres little room for the likes of Donal Dineen, Dave Fanning and Jim Lockhart, all hugely knowledgeable about music, on radio today. Imagine a radio station driven by the likes of those, or with presenters the likes of those. It'd be a slightly older audience they'd appeal to but I couldn't imagine it wouldn't be great. Maybe the Irish market is just to small for anything that niche to work.

Great post, and I agree with pretty much all of it. The only shows I listen to regularly on TXFM are the girls - Kelly Anne Byrne weeknights, Nadine O'Regan on Sat morning and Dee Reddy on Sunday morning. The day time stuff is just not that interesting. Nialler 9 has its moments, but it's a bit too much if you know what I mean.

A BBC6 Music type station would be ace, but I think it would need big money behind it to make it work. They should convert 2FM into something like this - it's such a wasted resource.

My favourite radio music shows are where they have guests in playing their favourite tracks/ rarities etc. Like when John Kelly used to get Elvis Costello in every so often on the Mystery Train, or when Donal Dineen would have Jape or James Yorkston in, or when Leagues would show up for Paul McCloone, and there'd be such a buzz between presenter and guest - just playing what they want and chattin in between tracks. But then... NOBODY else wants to listen to something like this! Most people want to hear something they know, something poppy, and the less talk the better... unless it's two loud "funny" lads. I think you're right that Dublin is too small for a niche music station. It's a shame cause I much prefer radio to TV.

Fuck it, I'm in!

How much does a license for a radio station cost? it can't be that expensive to run a commercial station as a collective.
Assuming it's affordable we could just the thing at a loss for a while until everyone cops on on how cool we all are and the $$$$$ starts rolling in.

Last edited:
As well as my obvious 80's synth funk show I'm also prolly gonna start a show defending landfill indie music from 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back