Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (2 Viewers)

Has it been a year already?

I never watched a Paris/Roubaix in full, but flashback or scutter or someone posted a link to a doc on the cycling thread about Sean Kelly winning it and how generally mental it is as a race.
A year ago (Shit, actually, maybe it was THREE years ago), it was on TV at work. Everyone watched, no one except me knew what they were watching. I'm explaining "it's the Paris Roubaix!", everyone else was just confused "Why are they covered in mud? Why is there cobbles? What is this madness?".
"As I said, it's Paris Roubaix".
"But, that explains nothing. This is nuts".
"It explains everything, and yes, it is nuts".

RE the soccerball, much ructions over here in Saxon-land that the game is being held at Wembley, and all the Mancs and Scousers are having to make their way down to that London for the game. There's no trains this weekend. And I agree with them. Old Trafford exists. The Aviva would've been a more sensible option ffs.
You've seen 'a Sunday in hell'? Much better to watch the original with subtitles than the commonly found one with English commentary - there's no attempt made to translate some of the crowd chatter in the latter, and you miss some funny moments.

i can't see the version i've recommended on youtube, but the english language commentary one is still worth it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well, just watched all of that. French people and their car horns, wha?

Srsly though, that was great. Thanks for sharing.

i can't see the version i've recommended on youtube, but the english language commentary one is still worth it.

cheers for the subtitle the info on Sunday in Hell.
Jorgen Leth who directed Sunday in Hell also directed Stars and Watercarriers doc about the 1973 Giro.
an even better Giro film is The Greatest Show on Earth about the 1974 edition, directed by Michael Pfleghar. they are largely based around the climbing exploits of Kas rider Jose Manuel Fuente (winner of two Vueltas). Fuente should have won both races but his crazy long range attacks caused him to crack and opened the door for Eddy.
neo pro Gibi Baronchelli only lost the 1974 Giro by 12 seconds to Eddy!
some amazing footage in both films which are beautifully shot.

1974 Giro final mountain stage from The Greatest Show on Earth
Eddy Merckx wasn't much a stylist on the bike!

there's an amazing scene in this film of Fuente descending.
sadly 1976 Roubaix winner Marc Demeyer died in 1982, J.M. Fuente died in 1996 and his Kas team mate Vicente Lopez Carril died in 1980.

I only saw the subtitled one when William fotheringham came to Ireland to promote his book about the film. He'd managed to get his hands on a copy, and they showed it at the talk he gave.

Tour of Alps coverage began at 1 pm on Eurosport 2.
the race started in 1980 to have an event in Francesco Moser's home region but the last few years they also venture into Tirol hence the name change.
5 days of nothing but the Alps, it's great prep for climbers doing the Giro. it's only fault is that it clashes with the Ardennes classics.

last year stage 5 was one of the best races of the year:
after dropping Dan Martin (1:09:00 9.7km to go) Alexander (sic) Vlasov and Simon Yates went over the top of the final climb together.
it was a beautiful but very dangerous descent into the finish (particularly from 7 km to go @ 1:13:30) with seemingly only the front two in contention.
then out of nowhere, Pello Bilbao caught Dan who got spooked by his madman descending and had a minor crash (@1:15:18) and then the Basque sets off in pursuit of the front two....

I think this is the third time I've posted this on thumped.
actually they are on a similar amazing narrow descent on 2022 stage 1 now.

Went to see Wexford draw (undeservedly) with Galway in the hurling at the weekend. Man the Wexford hurlers are huge muscle-y fuckers compared to when I was a kid. Still mostly can't hurl terribly well though
l left lovely county Wexford in 1987 so Martin Storey was only coming on the scene then.
Darragh Egan doesn't seem to have a lot to work with but winning 5 League matches was a big overachievement.
As I said before he's a local legend in North Tipp club hurling.

The GAA Championship being on in April seems daft and will take some getting used to.

Oh - someone said Paris-Roubaix 2021 didn't seem like a year ago already. correct - it was at the start of October last year (postponed due to COVID).

l left lovely county Wexford in 1987 so Martin Storey was only coming on the scene then.
Darragh Egan doesn't seem to have a lot to work with but winning 5 League matches was a big overachievement.
As I said before he's a local legend in North Tipp club hurling.

The GAA Championship being on in April seems daft and will take some getting used to.

Oh - someone said Paris-Roubaix 2021 didn't seem like a year ago already. correct - it was at the start of October last year (postponed due to COVID).
Wexford used the least number of players of any county in the league this year (of the top teams). That would suggest they were at near-full-strength throughout, meaning their panel is likely to be pretty weak outside of the first 15. As you said, he hasn't a whole lot to work with.

Wexford used the least number of players of any county in the league this year (of the top teams). That would suggest they were at near-full-strength throughout, meaning their panel is likely to be pretty weak outside of the first 15. As you said, he hasn't a whole lot to work with.
met my uncles yesterday and they said this. one of them was a good club hurler in co. Wexford in the 70's.
great guy.

If you're awake and you can get this... six minutes left in game six of Phoenix Suns and New Orleans Pelicans. Pelicans are a point ahead in New Orleans. if they win, they tie the first round series against the favourites. Pelicans were seed ten in the Western Division... no one would predict they would've stuck it to the Suns so much. Just a young team coming good at the right time.

Anyway, unlikely you can tune in [86ers smoked the Raptors in game six live on Sky, good luck, so I tuned into this] unless you have NBA pass which I got last week. I caved to playoffs fever...

Katie Taylor is doing her thing tomorrow. Any thoughts? Can I watch it for free anywhere?

I
Katie Taylor is doing her thing tomorrow. Any thoughts? Can I watch it for free anywhere?
I will probably be asleep. Serrano is a beast! If Katie loses I hope she will retire but I think Katie is going to end up like Sonia O'Sullivan where she won't know how to stop and become aimless at the end of her career.
Katie doesn't know anything except the boxing lifestyle will be bereft without it I fear.
Fingers crossed for her. it's constantly fascinating how someone so ultra competitive can be so gentle outside the ring. Same with quite a few other boxers inc Kellie, who is injured at the moment.

Tune into this:

Memphis and Minnesota. Minnesota lead just after the half, need to win it to extend the series.

Damn, I do not know. This is only the last sixteen. Memphis are the second best team in the league. Arguably Minnesota should have won the fifth game in Memphis. Game four and five were insane, both decided in the last second. Other games in this series have been insane -

for example in game three, Timberwolves went up 27 in the first half and then again led by 23 after opening the deficit again and still lost the game... at home. Cue Charles Barkley losing his shit in the studio.

This IS the cup final. Incredible stuff.

Tune in to see Minnesota hold out against Memphis and force the only game seven in the first round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back