Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (1 Viewer)

I heard someone on drivetime compare this to the time Laois, Westmeath and Paudi O'Se something something

mick o dwyer managed laois for a few relative glory years in early 90's - paidi o shea managed westmeath for a year (?) and that year westmeath beat laois in the leinster final.

micko having managed the all conquering kerry teams of the 70s/80s of which paidi was part of

I am going to bung this in here rather than on the 'TdF 2007' thread. essential read even if you have slightest interest in bike racing.
really good overview of the state of Irish cycling as Dan Martin and Nicolas Roche retire by Shane Stokes.
Sean Kelly goes in depth talking about both rider's lack of recognition among many in Ireland, where Irish cycling has come from since Kelly and Stephen Roche's days and where are we heading. Also Sam Bennett, Ryan Mullen, Eddie Dunbar and Ben Healy plus other lads in the pipeline and a small mention of Irish women's cycling and the local racing circuit.

these lads deserve a mention:

in 2020 LOUGHMORE CASTLELINEY (parish pop. 1,000) lost both the Tipperary hurling and football Finals by a point.
this year after about 15 weekends in a row playing football and hurling they beat Thurles in the hurling Final replay by a point to complete the 2021 double, having won the football Final the previous week. an injury time free from an accute angle by John McGrath gave Loughmore a one point win.
nearly all the team were in action in all three Final matches.
huge respect to the club who were traditionally more football orientated for pulling this off. very few clubs in Tipp play both sports at senior level. G'wan the McGraths and Meaghers

these lads deserve a mention:

in 2020 LOUGHMORE CASTLELINEY (parish pop. 1,000) lost both the Tipperary hurling and football Finals by a point.
this year after about 15 weekends in a row playing football and hurling they beat Thurles in the hurling Final replay by a point to complete the 2021 double, having won the football Final the previous week. an injury time free from an accute angle by John McGrath gave Loughmore a one point win.
nearly all the team were in action in all three Final matches.
huge respect to the club who were traditionally more football orientated for pulling this off. very few clubs in Tipp play both sports at senior level. G'wan the McGraths and Meaghers
Most counties have a geographical split between football and hurling strongholds. The exception would be in the bigger towns where they have the population to support 2 codes.

This is pretty remarkable though. Kilmacud Crokes won both codes in Dublin this year, but with completely different panels (maybe 1 lad overlapping). Naas likewise in Kildare. But Tipp are, arguably, the most competitive in both codes from that lot.

Interesting that you say its traditionally more of a football stronghold. Loughmore have had big players on Tipp hurling teams for, at least, 20 years. In my mind they've certainly been among the big guns on the Tipp club scene during that time. As far as club scenes go, Tipp's has been fiercely competitive with so many top-class sides. Once Toomevara relinquished their dominance, that is.

Most counties have a geographical split between football and hurling strongholds. The exception would be in the bigger towns where they have the population to support 2 codes.

This is pretty remarkable though. Kilmacud Crokes won both codes in Dublin this year, but with completely different panels (maybe 1 lad overlapping). Naas likewise in Kildare. But Tipp are, arguably, the most competitive in both codes from that lot.

Interesting that you say its traditionally more of a football stronghold. Loughmore have had big players on Tipp hurling teams for, at least, 20 years. In my mind they've certainly been among the big guns on the Tipp club scene during that time. As far as club scenes go, Tipp's has been fiercely competitive with so many top-class sides. Once Toomevara relinquished their dominance, that is.
I am not the biggest hurling fan and the vast majority of local people know far more about it than me.

the Tipperary scene hurling scene is very competitive now alright. few would have thought Borris-Ileigh /Borrisoleigh (neighbours of Loughmore) were going win a county title in 2019 and they went on to give Ballyhale a run for their money in the All-Ireland Final.

Kiladangan are a small club in Puckaun on Lough Derg who were intermediate for decades until the late 2000's and after a few near misses they won their first county hurling title in 2020.
Darragh Egan (b.1986) who was recently appointed Wexford manager is the Puckaun primary school principal and helped mastermind the club's rise.

Loughmore have have actually won 15 Tipp football titles but in the last 40 years they have been more of a hurling club with lots of superb players. they have 4 hurling titles now, their first was in 1988

the Loughmore GAA wiki lists all their hurlers that have ever played county. it's a an impressive list.
scroll down to bottom. also all their county footballers are listed:

I am not the biggest hurling fan and the vast majority of local people know far more about it than me.

the Tipperary scene hurling scene is very competitive now alright. few would have thought Borris-Ileigh /Borrisoleigh (neighbours of Loughmore) were going win a county title in 2019 and they went on to give Ballyhale a run for their money in the All-Ireland Final.

Kiladangan are a small club in Puckaun on Lough Derg who were intermediate for decades until the late 2000's and after a few near misses they won their first county hurling title in 2020.
Darragh Egan (b.1986) who was recently appointed Wexford manager is the Puckaun primary school principal and helped mastermind the club's rise.

Loughmore have have actually won 15 Tipp football titles but in the last 40 years they have been more of a hurling club with lots of superb players. they have 4 hurling titles now, their first was in 1988

the Loughmore GAA wiki lists all their hurlers that have ever played county. it's a an impressive list.
scroll down to bottom. also all their county footballers are listed:
Darragh's brother, Colm, trained my team many moons ago so I'd know well of the Egans. He's been living out in Chicago this long time since. The north american all-ireland is played over a single weekend and a friend of mine who was with the Denver Gaels, bumped into Colm. They made the connection that they'd both played with the same club in Dublin (though their time didn't overlap), and one of the people they found was a mutual friend, was me. Always nice to hear a story like that.

There are 2 lads in my club who are Dublin born and bred, but have very strong Loughmore ties through their dad. Those lads just ooze hurling, and they didn't get that from Dublin. I knew Paul Ormonde back in the day a little, too. There ends my Loughmore knowledge! Though I do remember David Kennedy, who was center-back on the Tipp team in 2001, transferring to Kildare and playing a few seasons there. Of course, none of these lads hold a candle to the McGrath brothers. Class acts on and off the pitch.

btw, I hate tipp!

I've been taking an interest in Erling Haaland the young soccer player recently for two reasons

1. As said on youtube comments 'he looks like when you make a player on fifa and put the strenght/speed and agility all up to 100'

2. his name sounds like mine pronounced awfully

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've been taking an interest in Erling Haaland the young soccer player recently for two reasons

1. As said on youtube comments 'he looks like when you make a player on fifa and put the strenght/speed and agility all up to 100'

2. his name sounds like mine pronounced awfully

The guy is like one of does Boston Dynamics killer robot things presented in a way that passes the uncanny valley.

posting this here because it features Jack:
in the 1982 World Cup 2nd round group phase England drew 0-0 with West Germany afterwards Jack Charlton as part of ITV's coverage was despatched to interview England manager Ron Greenwood and his assistant Don Howe.
later West Germany 2-1 Spain and England 0-0 Spain meant both sides were eliminated.

Jack calls out Don n Ron on the teams lack of chances and goals in a surprisingly very open debate.
fascinating stuff. no manager would grant an interview like this now and this would be rare in any era.
G'wan Big Jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back