Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (2 Viewers)

olympics tourism

Really liked the Womens Road Race cycling - just the smiles of her over the last 40km

watched some of the skateboarding and gonna try and figure out the surfing later

ow

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

olympics tourism

Really liked the Womens Road Race cycling - just the smiles of her over the last 40km

watched some of the skateboarding and gonna try and figure out the surfing later
I knew most of the 67 women who started the women's Olympic cycling road race but I never heard of Anna Kiesenhofer until yesterday.

for a little known 30 year old rider to attack from the start in a 137 km race and then win is unprecedented in my decades following cycling.

her results from 2017 her sole sole season as a pro:
she had barely finished a race and packed in the season in April

Giving the breakaway 11 minutes was crazy.
no radios in the race led to clueless tactics by the big teams (that still had only 4 riders at most) especially the Dutch. Anameik Van Vleuten (silver) thought she had won, so did Van der Breggen and Lizzie Deignan among others who didn't know Kiesenhofer was still two minutes ahead.
when the main riders had crossed the line only Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig congratulated Keisenhofer as I assume a lot of them didn't know she'd won.

even putting this all together when Van Vleuten (one of the best TT riders) attacked with about 50 km left
only was able to cut the gap from 6:20 down about 5 mins before been reeled back in herself.
the Dutch should have used two of their riders instead to chase rather than her attacking.
the Italians, Germans and Americans very did little either just expecting the Dutch riders to control the race.

Kiesenhofer was remarkably strong and the gap came down so slowly that for the 25 km she was home and dry. will interesting to see if she can repeat this in next few years.

EDIT: I had accidentally posted this before it was completed

Last edited:
one other major Austrian win came to mind though.
in 2018 mountain biker Laura Stigger won the Junior World Race title in her home city of Innsbruck.
although she had trained on the route more than anyone it was the first road race she had ever competed in and she to returned MTB cross country afterwards.
she will be riding that event in Tokyo on Tuesday.

ow

I know most skaters hate the Olympics and they're right - it's a total affront to old school skateboarding.
why was there no vert skating though? Shaun White sucks!

the park skating event was all about getting one killer Caballero style rail slide in and you were judged solely
on your best trick and not the whole run like in the street event.

I knew most of the 67 women who started the women's Olympic cycling road race but I never heard of Anna Kiesenhofer until yesterday.

for a little known 30 year old rider to attack from the start in a 137 km race and then win is unprecedented in my decades following cycling.

her results from 2017 her sole sole season as a pro:
she had barely finished a race and packed in the season in April

Giving the breakaway 11 minutes was crazy.
no radios in the race led to clueless tactics by the big teams (that still had only 4 riders at most) especially the Dutch. Anameik Van Vleuten (silver) thought she had won, so did Van der Breggen and Lizzie Deignan among others who didn't know Kiesenhofer was still two minutes ahead.
when the main riders had crossed the line only Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig congratulated Keisenhofer as I assume a lot of them didn't know she'd won.

even putting this all together when Van Vleuten (one of the best TT riders) attacked with about 50 km left
only was able to cut the gap from 6:20 down about 5 mins before been reeled back in herself.
the Dutch should have used two of their riders instead to chase rather than her attacking.
the Italians, Germans and Americans very did little either just expecting the Dutch riders to control the race.

Kiesenhofer was remarkably strong and the gap came down so slowly that for the 25 km she was home and dry. will interesting to see if she can repeat this in next few years.

EDIT: I had accidentally posted this before it was completed

I checked how the race was going early yesterday morning before I had to head out for a bit. When I heard how far the break was up the road, I figured it would stay away. I wasn't that surprised later to hear someone from the break had won it.

I follow women's cycling almost more closely than I do the men's sport. There are far more characters in the sport - people with actual personalities - than in the men's, who are basically a bunch of poker-faced robots.

Kiesenhofer's name rang a bell when I saw her out in the break. The only one I really fully know was Omer Shapiroa, from WMN Canyon, but when I was scanning twitter I remembered where I'd heard of the Austrian.

I don't follow Uli Fluhme anymore, but I used to, and I remembered him going on about her after she hammered up Ventoux in a grand fondo that year.

Women's cycling is far cagier than men's. It's rare enough to see a break go and get that established. Even stage races tend to be more attritional. So when that break went yesterday, given how small the teams were, I couldn't see them getting organised enough to reel them back in. Even moreso because no one would be willing to help out the Dutch (who would have probably taken 2 or 3 medals if the bunch arrived at the line together).

I read about what AVV said about not knowing there was still a rider out front. Yet Marianne Vos did. If thats the case, there's your problem right there. I remember in the past, particularly in the worlds, and particularly with Italy for some reason, that when you have so many talented riders in one team, it can breed distrust. AVV was the favourite, but can we really expect MV had no designs on a medal? Or Anna VanDerBreggan? Either of those 2 would have been the lead rider for any other nation, were they not Dutch.

And, rather than be whinging about radios and information, riders need to take responsibility for their own shitshow. And who better than the great Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig to call them out on their bullshit.

This is the fairweather sports thread :p

Anywhoo whatever moaning the rest of them are at, i do feel it's your own responsibility to win the olympics and while it must be mad dissapointing that someone from the cool bike gang didn't win and there will be moaning about it, where another country team is at any time isn't really relevant if you know what pace you need to be on to win.

Half understand the surfing now.

I just copped that these are the "real" Olympics.

It seemed that there was very little fanfare about them this year. I always remember the lead-up to the Olympics and seeing whatever that year's mascot is everywhere.

I didn't notice any of that this time around.

I just copped that these are the "real" Olympics.

It seemed that there was very little fanfare about them this year. I always remember the lead-up to the Olympics and seeing whatever that year's mascot is everywhere.

I didn't notice any of that this time around.

It's in Japan and they had the Mario bros coin sound on some of the basketball for scores.

The French beat the yanks at Basketball the other day, which was fuckin class.

I was heading to bed on Saturday night about 2am and decided I'd just see what the Olympics were showing, switched it on and it was the women's beach volleyball. So I was like "Guess I'm staying up for another hour", but then after 5 minutes they switched away to rowing or some shit so I just turned it off.

I checked how the race was going early yesterday morning before I had to head out for a bit. When I heard how far the break was up the road, I figured it would stay away. I wasn't that surprised later to hear someone from the break had won it.

I follow women's cycling almost more closely than I do the men's sport. There are far more characters in the sport - people with actual personalities - than in the men's, who are basically a bunch of poker-faced robots.

Kiesenhofer's name rang a bell when I saw her out in the break. The only one I really fully know was Omer Shapiroa, from WMN Canyon, but when I was scanning twitter I remembered where I'd heard of the Austrian.

I don't follow Uli Fluhme anymore, but I used to, and I remembered him going on about her after she hammered up Ventoux in a grand fondo that year.

Women's cycling is far cagier than men's. It's rare enough to see a break go and get that established. Even stage races tend to be more attritional. So when that break went yesterday, given how small the teams were, I couldn't see them getting organised enough to reel them back in. Even moreso because no one would be willing to help out the Dutch (who would have probably taken 2 or 3 medals if the bunch arrived at the line together).

I read about what AVV said about not knowing there was still a rider out front. Yet Marianne Vos did. If thats the case, there's your problem right there. I remember in the past, particularly in the worlds, and particularly with Italy for some reason, that when you have so many talented riders in one team, it can breed distrust. AVV was the favourite, but can we really expect MV had no designs on a medal? Or Anna VanDerBreggan? Either of those 2 would have been the lead rider for any other nation, were they not Dutch.

And, rather than be whinging about radios and information, riders need to take responsibility for their own shitshow. And who better than the great Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig to call them out on their bullshit.

the only rider I knew of in the break was Omer Shapira but she's an established pro like Anna Plichita is. both probably better riders on paper the Anna Kiesenhofer.

maybe Kiesenhofer is a major talent who just decided to concentrate on her academic career (doctorate in mathematical (?) physics) and life as pro team was not for her? (poor pay etc etc)
But I want to see her get more major results after this.

I have to repeat her results in the 2017 season w/ Lotto were a disaster for whatever reason.
hopefully there will be some indepth interviews with AK shortly.
maybe in a few years I'll be a fan - her cycling background is highly unusual so the idea a total outsider can win the Olympics is very appealing. you can't really compare AK to anyone else.

there was a string of men particularly in the 2000's who came from nowhere, got big results for a while and then were caught doping were little heard of again.
but riding independently AK isn't surrounded by doping culture and makes her own decisions.

it's hard to know what to make of it but maybe it was just a perfect storm for AK and that's all there was to it.

Pidcock who won the 'lympic MTB cross country (Mathieu VDP crashed and didn't make any headway after).
Pidcock broke his collar bone in five places in May.
surely this is going to be an ongoing problem in his career now?
how many times did Cadel Evans break his collarbone? it hugely set back his career in early/mid 2000's

the best thing today was the women's street skating comp.
the format was 8 finalists who had 2 45 second runs and then 5 one off trick slots on with the best 5 (I think) results counting). the leaderboard changed constantly.
the 13 y.o. Japanese girl won, the 13 y.o. Brazilian was 2nd and the winner's 16 y.o. Japanese pal was 3rd ruining the average age of the podium.

Oh I saw a bit of the team gymnastics earlier. The 'Not Russia, honestly' team won the gold medal on the final routine, it was a pretty great finish with Japan and China also in the hunt. Actually 'Not Russia' had been way ahead but had a really bad time on the bars or something and were almost pipped to it.
Have to laugh at the "All the Russians are dopers" attitude of WADA, like when you watch the gymnastics you really don't see any way that doping would be of any benefit to those athletes at all. It's pure practice practice practice with that shit.

The women's triathlon is on right now and fuck the weather looks shitttttteeeeee haha. Looks like they're getting lashed on. It's mad though, the stormy weather really takes a big advantage away from any hot weather trainers. Still, there's a Brazilian woman up with the leaders.

The women's triathlon is on right now and fuck the weather looks shitttttteeeeee haha. Looks like they're getting lashed on. It's mad though, the stormy weather really takes a big advantage away from any hot weather trainers. Still, there's a Brazilian woman up with the leaders.

watching that till 00.38, and then aussie surfer i've adopted as my national hero is on for his 1/4 final in typhoon waves.

There's a woman commentator on the triathlon there. Not sure where she's from, sounds maybe Australian, but anyway, she just used the phrase "And I know you're Irish so you'll make me put money on this"

I am mortally offended by this and will now be going to Twitter to have her cancelled

Still windy offshore - bigger waves than yesterdays heat but it might favour him because he's tall and harder to yeet about the place

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back