Fact Mag's 100 Best Albums Of The 70s (1 Viewer)

I remember hearing NMTB in our front room on my Da's mega Toshiba stereo when I was 8.Blew my fucking mind.Still does.

Also Rumours..but I didnt come to appreciate that as much til years later.

Bob Marleys Exodus was a highlight too.

Actually theres loads of albums I would have in my top 100 of the seventies that arent on the list

Have to say I listen to more of The Professionals than the Pistols these days. Might recognise the music in this one from a certain Andrew WK tune.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I like the Professionals more than the Pistols too,but the Lightning Raiders single is my favourite Cook/Jones tune

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Gah! should have known that Fact would have had that LP at the top of their list!

Pretentious pricks

Why are they pretentious? Have you listened to it? It's an amazing album, maybe not best of the 70s but way more interesting than half the shite on that list. To me, Throbbing Gristle were possibly the greatest band of the late 70s/early 80s. I still get goosebumps listening to their stuff, the live recordings in particular are like a window into another world.

The music, the sound, the social commentary, the sense of humour and the sheer will to make a mark on the world is inspiring even now. They blew apart every conceivable notion about being a popular musician (that you needed to be able to play/sing normally; that you needed to be good looking; doing the DIY thing before punk "invented" it; sounding utterly original without any obvious influence; confronting taboo subjects with humour and biting social commentary). 20 Jazz Funk Greats manages to fit all that into one album while still being catchy, exciting and upsetting all at the same time. Despite my dismissal of The Sex Pistols earlier in this thread, I do get what people mean when they say that they feel The Sex Pistols were a bolt of lightning that changed things utterly. It's just that for me Throbbing Gristle are the band that really epitomises rebellion, individuality and doing your own thing. There's a famous quote from Genesis P-Orridge from TG when "Sniffing Glue" came out with their "Here's three chords, now form a band" thing: "Why learn chords?" Fuck yeah.

No Zeppelin!
No Pink Floyd!
No Nick Drake!
No Television!
No Bob Marley!
No Bob Dylan!
No Joy Division!

thank fuck. sick of reading about those bloody albums

No UFO by Jim Sullivan though. shit list

All these magazines or music sites have a niche and any lists are going to reflect that. It's like when NME do a greatest albums list and people complain that it mostly white indie guitar bands...that's their thing. Fact are more left of centre. Classic rock magazine's greatest albums of the 70's would be a whole lot different...& more predictable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back