Facebook (2 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cory Doctorow said:
its founder, board and top execs are sociopaths and monsters, committers of non-hyperbolic, no-fooling crimes against humanity. They lie, they cheat, they steal. They are some of history's greatest villains
Please. Crimes against humanity? Some of history's greatest villains?

Please. Crimes against humanity? Some of history's greatest villains?

a bit overstated, but not necessarily wrong

a better comparison might be tobacco companies from a few decades back, selling poison and acting innocent. that got slowly legislated into a situation where, in the west at least, it’s an extremely-closely-regulated industry, and everyone knows that the products basically slowly kill you.

who knows if the same will come to be true over the coming decades with facebook in particular (and social-technology companies more broadly). I can’t imagine the political will exists at the moment to regulate facebook like we do tobacco. but that’s basically what would be needed for it not to just be constantly poisoning the world. it does to minds what cigarettes do to lungs.

a bit overstated, but not necessarily wrong
Wildly overstated, and objectively wrong. I can't see anything in the details of the whistleblower case that's actually villainous, and I can't see any concrete "crimes" apart from "helps people with similar ideas to find and connect with each other (and some of those people/ideas are bad)"

I agree that social media has negative side effects, and afaict that's a direct consequence of optimising for engagement. FB is, at worst, a paperclip maximizer - there is no crime, and there's no villain*. I guess framing it in those terms might create enough public outrage to fuel some political will to Do Something About It, but what can actually be done? I think your tobacco analogy is probably a good one, and I suppose regulations against optimisation-for-engagement could be created, but I don't really see how it'd be possible to enforce them in practice even if the political will existed. Are governments going to hire an army of algorithm experts to examine every social network's source code and make sure they're not optimising for the wrong things?

---

* Cory Doctorow himself is optimising his content for engagement by making these grandiose claims - he's doing exactly the same harmful thing that he's criticising FB for.

Wildly overstated, and objectively wrong. I can't see anything in the details of the whistleblower case that's actually villainous, and I can't see any concrete "crimes" apart from "helps people with similar ideas to find and connect with each other (and some of those people/ideas are bad)"
i can't help but do a double take when i heard the whistleblower stated to the senate committee 'facebook is only interested in profits and not people', and i assume the reaction of the committee was '...and?'

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back