Facebook (2 Viewers)

there are fuckups in the programming for sure. last week, the person who tagged me and me couldn't untag me. had to go back to the uploader to remove it.

Comment would be superfluous.

Tourist walks off Australia pier while checking Facebook

A Taiwanese tourist had to be rescued after accidentally walking off a pier in the Australian city of Melbourne while checking her Facebook page.
The woman tumbled from St Kilda's pier into Port Phillip Bay late on Monday night.

Police were alerted to the incident by a witness and rescued her in a speedboat after about 20 minutes.
The woman, who apologised, was taken to hospital for observation but police said she was fine.

Senior Constable Dean Kelly of the water police said officers found her floating metres from the pier.
"She was still out in the water laying on her back in a floating position because she told us later that she couldn't swim," the Australian Broadcasting Corporation quoted him as saying.
"She still had her mobile phone in her hand and initially she apologised... she said 'I was checking my Facebook page on the phone and I've fallen in'."
Constable Kelly called on people to pay more attention when using social media around water.

Victoria police, meanwhile, said in a statement that there was no need for a lost property report because the woman "kept hold of her mobile phone throughout the entire ordeal".
icon_rolleyes.gif

BBC News - Tourist walks off Australia pier while checking Facebook

The Likely Lads will respond.

#BBCtrending: Father in Yemen seeks one million Facebook 'likes' as dowry
BBC Trending
By BBC Trending

A father in Yemen has asked, not for money, but for one million Facebook "likes" as dowry for his daughter's hand in marriage.

Yemen is a very traditional society, but one marriage there has been given a very modern twist. Instead of asking his daughter's husband-to-be for a dowry payment, Salem Ayash, a poet from the city of Taiz, has asked for one million Facebook likes. That's a lot in a country of just 25 million, where internet use is limited.

"It's the first time we've heard of something like this," says Bashraheel Bashraheel, a journalist with Yemen's Al-Ayyam newspaper. The story has made big waves on social media there, he says, with countless bloggers writing urging people to support the page so the couple can get married. The page was set up on Sunday and has 30,000 likes so far. "No-one in Yemen can afford dowries anymore," says Ayash, explaining why he's asking for a digital dowry - rather than gold or money.

The fact that many young men cannot afford dowries, and so cannot get married, is a hot topic in Yemen, says Bashraheel - with numerous attempts over the past few years to set a maximum legal amount. Neighbours often club together to help pay a dowry - which is set by the father of the bride - and mass marriages are becoming more popular as a way of making it more affordable.

Those commenting on Salem Ayash's Facebook page seem divided on whether it's a good idea or not. Many have thanked him for raising the issue of dowry payments, but others have questioned his motivations. "All you want is to use your daughter to seek fame," writes one - noting that the Facebook likes are for his own personal page, rather than that of his daughter or her husband-to-be. Ayash told the BBC that he wants to see evidence his future son-in-law is making an effort to raise the one million Facebook likes - but he won't be rigid. "If I see that he's worked hard, I'm willing to be flexible to see them happily married."
BBC News - #BBCtrending: Father in Yemen seeks one million Facebook 'likes' as dowry

you just enter their name in the searchbox, got to their page and post your comment

Maybe they have strict privacy settings or something

there are no walls. only doors and windows. was only last night that a mate in the pub was telling me about something I thought I said in private.

Had to block yet another facebook friend for the endless "frowny face, poor me, give me sympathy" status updates
this is also a minor complaint

and maybe a little bit minor pleasure, but just a little bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back