Exhibiting (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
i knwow a few people here have done so before (jraz?). i'm gonna be showing some photos at nouveau vadge and would like tips on printing/framing. i dont know how many images ill be using yet, but can anyone give me an idea of cost? should i even bother with frames? this is all totally knew to me but i want it to look as good as it can in the four weeks i have to pull my space together. all help appreciated, thanks :)

i knwow a few people here have done so before (jraz?). i'm gonna be showing some photos at nouveau vadge and would like tips on printing/framing. i dont know how many images ill be using yet, but can anyone give me an idea of cost? should i even bother with frames? this is all totally knew to me but i want it to look as good as it can in the four weeks i have to pull my space together. all help appreciated, thanks :)

I don't know much about this either but I would imagine you should get them mounted and framed, preferably by someone who knows what they're doing. Someone should be able to recommend a place for this.

Noticed the poster on your flickr and realised I really much check in more often on thumped. At least, the photography board.

Brendan Dunne at the Parnell Street side of Capel Street is cheap and cheerful. And decent enough. Nice ow'flit to boot. And quick too.

Brendan Dunne. 78 Capel Street, Dublin 1. PH: 01-873 2702
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...7&sspn=0.298415,0.892639&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=A

Especially if you want your basic off white mount in a black frame (wait and you see the shop).

I found that there's no point in wasting money on mad expensive frames unless you're going to be selling at exhorbitant prices.

I'll drop into this. Sounds gas.

do! It'll be great fun. and thanks for both your advices. a flickr contact messaged me saying there's this 360-dpi website which is also good - i'll do a price comparison and see. but yeah - no point having fancy framing. thanks again! :)

... there's this 360-dpi website which is also good -

Are they based in Ireland? Their website invites you to drop into their studio but doesn't mention where in the world it is!

I know this isn't relevant to you but I was just looking at their price-list and they mention that they do film scanning. And that they use an Epson V750 to do it. Now, I don't know a whole lot about scanning and scanners but as far as I know an Epson V750 is a consumer level flatbed scanner (though a very good quality one). But surely they should be using a professional drum scanner to do this sort of thing?

When's it goin up?

This is what you're gonna do. You're gonna throw a couple standard frames on the lesser stuff, to keep the costs down like. But for the good stuff; for the reaaallly hot shit, you're gonna print those up on di-bond plates. It's gonna knock people's fucking socks off. I'll forward on the address of the place and you can get quotes on sizes etc. They're not cheap, but they're reasonable.

This is gonna be big Lauren.

This is gonna be Huge.

Now give me your credit card. Lets close this fucker with a couple lines off the bonnet of my Porsche.

Are they based in Ireland? Their website invites you to drop into their studio but doesn't mention where in the world it is!

I know this isn't relevant to you but I was just looking at their price-list and they mention that they do film scanning. And that they use an Epson V750 to do it. Now, I don't know a whole lot about scanning and scanners but as far as I know an Epson V750 is a consumer level flatbed scanner (though a very good quality one). But surely they should be using a professional drum scanner to do this sort of thing?

mate of mine is going to those printers to get his portfolio printed. its just a chap, based on the southside somewhere (glenageary i think) you ftp him the shots and then you go over to his gaff to make sure the prints are how you want them.
i've heard good things about him so i'm gonna give him a shot.

100.jpg

i had thought that too, searched for an address and no joy (though i see what mr farmassist says about it being run from a gaff)

When's it goin up?

This is what you're gonna do. You're gonna throw a couple standard frames on the lesser stuff, to keep the costs down like. But for the good stuff; for the reaaallly hot shit, you're gonna print those up on di-bond plates. It's gonna knock people's fucking socks off. I'll forward on the address of the place and you can get quotes on sizes etc. They're not cheap, but they're reasonable.

This is gonna be big Lauren.

This is gonna be Huge.

Now give me your credit card. Lets close this fucker with a couple lines off the bonnet of my Porsche.

deal.
it's going up at the end of june - well, the show's from the 27th til the 28th. can you fw me on those details and i'll have a look at prices?

also, i googled dibond plates and got this:

TwoFamilies02.jpg

can you explain that?

i've heard good things about him so i'm gonna give him a shot.

secksi.

lala, yeah, ive done collective college shows and my own one in the lovinspoon on fredrick st last year.

basically, being DIY in the non-cool sense, and a bit cheapskate Id alway tend to try to mount them myself;

if you want to surface mount them on foam board, its super cheap, but a bit tricky, its a good idea to invest in a good quality stanley/craft knife, and a steel ruler. also get a couple of copies of each image printed to allow for fuck-ups/trial and error. it'll work out at about 50c-2euro per image depending on size,

bevel-edge mounting is a bit more tricky, and more classic looking. frames from easons (10e), card, a bevel edged cutter, steel ruler and trial and error. work out about 15euro per image for a A3 sized from.

buy yourself a paper gulitine (sp), and a bag of panel pins. seriously, if im ever exhibiting again, im going to do it this way.

I've tried making my own mounts and, for me anyway, I found it a real pain in the ass.

If you want to try a halfway option between jraz's "totally DIY" and Goff's "bring-em-to-a-framer-and-get-him-to-do-everything" you could buy the mounts and then do the actual mounting yourself, which is not hard. These guys are really good:

http://www.framingfantastic.co.uk

You will then need to get frames from somewhere (above crowd sell frames too).

I suppose it really depends on how many pictures you will be exhibiting. If it's just one or two then I say get a pro to do it.

because i was busy with other stuff i put this off until today, so i met with mr 360 dpi in his new studio. really nice guy, very helpful. i've chosen to go down the MDF route because i decided i didnt want framing in the end. if i manage to sell what i exhibit the third degree burn i'm about to inflict upon my [limited] finances should heal.

I'm going to try selling paintings and photos at the dun laoghaire festivel. I think i might get a few of these

from Ikea. You can get them in loads of different sizes and if things are pre framed they might sell easier...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back