Ex X-er's (1 Viewer)

i called myself straight edge when i was 15-16, just kind of for the buzz, and cos a good few of my friends at the time were edge and i was easily led. then i started drinking when i was about 17. then when i was 19 it started making me feel incredibly sick, and then i went on antidepressants so i ouldn't drink anyway, which was just as well. now i haven't had a drink in six months and i don't miss it at all. except i needed a vice and now i smoke like a chimney :(

my best friend is 28 and has been straight edge for 11 years, and is festooned* with tattoos to that efect.

*this is a lie. he only has one edge-related tattoo. i just wanted to use the word 'festooned'.

Bag'o'cans said:
Sorry but what is "straight edge"?. Am i straight edge for asking or am i totally not straight edge for asking?
"
"straight-edge refers to a philosophy that's most basic tenets promote a drug free lifestyle. It developed as an offshoot of the punk rock/hardcore scenes of the early 1980's when the term itself is believed to have been coined by Ian Mackaye, in the self titled song, while he was the singer of the seminal hardcore band, Minor Threat. Mackaye eschewed the nihilistic tendencies of punk rock, promoting instead the simple (almost simplistic) philosophy of "don't drink/ don't smoke/ don't fuck."
Thanks bago.
Jeez, whats wrong with moderation? There is a middle ground out there.

Does straight edge mean you don't drink or is it something broader? I never heard of it before except in a more general discussion of edges.

Bag'o'cans said:
"
"straight-edge refers to a philosophy that's most basic tenets promote a drug free lifestyle. It developed as an offshoot of the punk rock/hardcore scenes of the early 1980's when the term itself is believed to have been coined by Ian Mackaye, in the self titled song, while he was the singer of the seminal hardcore band, Minor Threat. Mackaye eschewed the nihilistic tendencies of punk rock, promoting instead the simple (almost simplistic) philosophy of "don't drink/ don't smoke/ don't fuck."
Thanks bago.
Jeez, whats wrong with moderation? There is a middle ground out there.
Interestingly, many of the original edgers (members of Minor Threat and the like) actually did drink, but only in moderation. I think the 'no drinking, at all, ever' thing developed later.

edit: And if you read the lyrics of 'Straight Edge', they say 'I don't smoke/Don't drink' etc - he was just making a point about what he did, not trying to force it on anyone else.

Alan Remorse said:
and he turned out fine.
It's not widely known that Hitler fronted a screamo band when he was in his early twenties.
Ironically they were called Kaiser Föck und das Shylocks. As this was the early 20th Century, it preceeded the vinyl, cassette and CD eras.
They did manage to release five broadsheets and regularly played the Faffenbach music hall in Munich.

A collection of their songs "Das Juden Prickens (für das Klavier)" had a brief publication in the early twenties.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Does straight edge mean you don't drink or is it something broader? I never heard of it before except in a more general discussion of edges.
a lot of people who live drink/drug-free lifestyles no longer call themselves 'straight-edge' cos of some of the more ritualised, gang-like strands that developed.

as for minor threat i think 'Out of Step' puts it better than 'Straight Edge':

(I) don't smoke
Don't drink
Don't fuck
At least I can fucking think

I can't keep up,
Can't keep up
Can't keep up
Out of step with the world

but my favourite lyric, ever, is Fugazi's Song Number 1:

Life is what you want it to be
So don't get tangled up trying to be free
And don't worry what the other people see
It's nothing.

Muscle Beach said:
a lot of people who live drink/drug-free lifestyles no longer call themselves 'straight-edge' cos of some of the more ritualised, gang-like strands that developed.

as for minor threat i think 'Out of Step' puts it better than 'Straight Edge':

(I) don't smoke
Don't drink
Don't fuck
At least I can fucking think

I can't keep up,
Can't keep up
Can't keep up
Out of step with the world

but my favourite lyric, ever, is Fugazi's Song Number 1:

Life is what you want it to be
So don't get tangled up trying to be free
And don't worry what the other people see
It's nothing.
well said.

i'm much more likely to say "i dont drink" or "i dont smoke" than "i am a straightedge, so fuck off you smoker scum"... its really only when it comes up like this that i'd talk about it.

people can do what they like as far as im concerned...

The best thread in a long time - this one has even made me smil without talking to a computer screen. Thanks
Alan Remorse said:
was vegan for 5, but had to give up due to health reasons. i dont feel like life is passing me by at all.
What were the health problems? Were they caused by a vegan diet or a bad diet?

You're all a bunch of sell-out bastards, I demand you all reveal your addresses to me so that I can come round with my crew and beat the fuck out of you all with baseball bats. Except for the girls, I'll leave my crew at home for them.

Cormcolash said:
You're all a bunch of sell-out bastards, I demand you all reveal your addresses to me so that I can come round with my crew and beat the fuck out of you all with baseball bats. Except for the girls, I'll leave my crew at home for them.
You sound like you're from Boston, except that they used to use hockey sticks. They got the idea from the way that ice hockey players often use their sticks to beat the shit out of each other when they have a disagreement.

ETA: You should also make sure you beat people nearly to death for 'talking shit', by which is meant that the person merely said, "Hey, that guy is really prone to violence." And also, you need to be a secret junkie. That'll round out your persona.

jane said:
You sound like you're from Boston, except that they used to use hockey sticks. They got the idea from the way that ice hockey players often use their sticks to beat the shit out of each other when they have a disagreement.

ETA: You should also make sure you beat people nearly to death for 'talking shit', by which is meant that the person merely said, "Hey, that guy is really prone to violence." And also, you need to be a secret junkie. That'll round out your persona.

Yup, it's a well-known fact that all the most fanatical people are also the most hypocritical people! I beat people nearly to death for looking at me the wrong way, how much tougher can I get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back