Even more on the Underground (1 Viewer)

snap-apple

Supporter
Since 2000
These are some thoughts on the most recently posted Articles on "the Underground". (go and read them).
I think Tom has some very good points to make about the previous two articles by Cormy and Anon comparing the current situation to that of circa. 5 years ago. To me there is no comparison and I feel that alot of the current underground scene has alot to owe to the creative Chicago, Canadian and Scottish scenes of the last few years. Personal favourites at the moment being The Redneck Manifesto and Paul O'Reilly who definitely show some influence from bands such as Mogwai, Slint, Tortoise, Papa M/Ariel M, Will Oldham/Palace etc. but most importantly - without sounding derivative. This would be the main criticism I would level at bands from previous years. They tended to sound a bit too much like all the other underground favourites at the time whereas I feel we are now in a position to say that there is a burgeoning "scene" in Dublin which has its own buzz about it. A friend of mine ariving back from London this week was genuinely amazed by the quality of most of the music - the main thing being that it is, dare I say it, musical.
Hell yeah - now we have something to listen to and enjoy rather than the rather average punk/ska/industrial stuff of a few years ago which showed energy but no real talent, creativity or direction. It is becoming more acceptable to actually pick up an acoustic and actually have people shut up and listen. Yes folks - the underground is no longer all about long hair, loud guitars, angry heads and leather jackets (not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that). We are now at a point where websites such as this and shops such as Road act as an information centre for people that are genuinely interested in good new music and not just the old anti-establishment punk-by-numbers. Anon tried to accuse members of this site of being incestuous and buddy-buddy but I certainly don't know anyone else on here (and very often disagree with some thoughts) but am glad to see that there are plenty of people interested and able to discuss music without headbutting each other as in the days of yore (Fibbers anyone?). Yea for it seem the Dublin underground has been wrested from the misshapen fists of the never-made-it neanderthals and thrown to the new blood.
But I think the crux of the matter was touched upon by Tom in his Article. It may unfortunately be only a matter of time before the finest of these bands are snapped up and blown out of proportion spawning copycat bands that will ultimately segregate the current scene.
But for now we should probably be thankful and enjoy the diversity and tolerance and damn fine music being given to us by people such as TRM, Tooth, Paul O'Reilly, Sweep the Leg Johnny etc. etc. and bow to some fine gigs setup by The Kids and The Family - without these sort of people (who thankfully for now seem to be bereft of the usual massive egos associated with the music biz) we probably wouldn't hear half this stuff, so long may it continue.

i think you've confused sweep the leg johnny with Johnny S. Legend man

i always make that mistake too

unless of course sweep are from Stoneybatter and i've been mistaken all these years.

andy

shit - i knew i shouldha read over it
anyways i'm off to get pissed now and embarrass myself at the work piss-up
have a good/bah humbug chrimbo depending...

I have one point to make:
The sence IS buddy buddy.
Everyone I call a good friend of mine I have meet through going/playing/putting on gigs. There's nothing wrong with that. I do like my mates and their bands.
Where's nothing wrong with people of simliar interests being friends.
I have never found the scene excluding either if that's the point your making either.
And I never agree with Tom cos he's a Student(I'm not allowed to right).

what about the bands/people you've played with/promoted that you DON'T like?
does that not disqualify the buddy-buddy rule?
or do you just NOT play with/put on bands or people you don't like?

shit, i've just made myself one of those people you don't like, haven't i

That's just nit-picking, Monsieur Ronan, but I'm sure you knew that.

It makes perfect sense that people with similar interests & activities would at some stage get to know each other, & not just because we're living in small cities or towns; it's pretty much the same in New York. It's essential that this is the case. Music, culture in general, cannot hope to thrive in a situation where all activists are isolated individuals who do not communicate to each other.

Music is ultimately a public act, and communication is the general idea, no?

The more buddy-buddy bullshit that goes on here the better, because that way people might actually get shit done, without necessarily making themselves miserable in the process. As all too often happens. It's hard enough to make any living from the arts in our gloriously poxy country, so any platform where contacts, information, support and advertising can be offered, well then lovely.

I will say this, though. Any complimenting on this site should be followed by the encouragement to push it further. Much, much further.

- "It may unfortunately be only a matter of time before the finest of these bands are snapped up and blown out of proportion spawning copycat bands that will ultimately segregate the current scene."
- I know, I know, I feel that way about LUC & the Platelets sometimes.

ronan (29-12-2000 01:10 a.m.):
what about the bands/people you've played with/promoted that you DON'T like?
does that not disqualify the buddy-buddy rule?
or do you just NOT play with/put on bands or people you don't like?
Well Lets think about this why would I waste a lot of my own time/energy/money etc. for some one that doesn't appreicate what I do?

Granted some do slip through the net every now and again but you can never really tell with bands from abroad.

What i mean by buddy buddy is people who will help you out when you need them and will ask you for help when they need you.

yeah, that is true.

music is such a personal communicative thing.
it ISNT like some kinda business, where you would possibly tolerate assholes for the sake of a deal or business arrangement.

i don't know why i wrote that shit before.

oh yeah, i do...i was kinda drunk...it made some kinda sense.

sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back