Eurovision 2023 - Public Image Ltd. to represent Ireland? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 64
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 3

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Public Image Ltd. (PiL) are confirmed to take part in the competition to represent Ireland at the 67th annual Eurovision Song Contest with the most personal piece of songwriting and accompanying artwork that John Lydon has ever shared called “Hawaii,” which is now available for streaming and download here.

The song is a love letter to John's wife of nearly 5 decades, Nora, who is living with Alzheimer’s. A pensive, personal yet universal love song that will resonate with many, the song sees John reflecting on their lifetime well spent, and in particular, one of their happiest moments together in Hawaii.

The powerfully emotional ballad is as close as John will ever come to bearing his soul. “It is dedicated to everyone going through tough times on the journey of life, with the person they care for the most,” says John. “It’s also a message of hope that ultimately love conquers all.”

The competition will take place from 9:30pm GMT (4:30p ET/1:30p PT) on Friday, February 3, 2023 on Ireland’s The Late Late Show and can be live streamed here.

Celebrating their 40-year anniversary in 2018, Public Image Ltd. haven’t been going quite as long as John and Nora, however, the band is widely regarded as one of the most innovative and influential bands of all time.

PiL’s music and vision has earned them 5 UK Top 20 singles and 5 UK Top 20 albums. With a shifting line-up and unique sound - fusing rock, dance, folk, pop and dub – Lydon guided the band from their debut album First Issue in 1978 through to 1992’s That What Is Not, before a 17-year hiatus. Lydon reactivated PiL in 2009, touring extensively worldwide and releasing two critically acclaimed albums This is PiL in 2012 followed by their 10th studio album What The World Needs Now… in 2015, which peaked at number 29 in the official UK album charts and picked up fantastic acclaim from both press and public. (The album also peaked at number 3 in the official UK indie charts and number 4 in the official UK vinyl charts). What The World Needs Now… was self-funded by PiL and released on their own label ‘PiL Official’ via Cargo UK Distribution.

John Lydon, Lu Edmonds (multi-instrumentalist, Guitars) Bruce Smith (Percussion, drums), and Scott Firth (Bass, multi-instrumentalist), continue as PiL. They are the longest stable line-up in the band's history and continue to challenge and thrive.

"Hawaii" is available on all digital platforms from January 9th, and will be released on limited edition 7” vinyl later in the year.

PiL will be releasing a new album this year. Details to be announced soon…​

The real PIL

John Lydon is unbelievable. One of a kind. This song is great. Be some buzz having him on Eurovision

P.I.L. are fucking incredible. In all their incarnations.I'm sorry I didnt go see em last year down the road from me.

Are they though?
You can't really mess with Metal Box, no. It is quite influential...but so are many other key post-punk records...but maybe Metal Box has a bigger reach as regards influence? Innovation, well, again...Gang of Four, Pop Group, PIL, Pere Ubu, James Chance etc... This Heat are probably the most radical band in sound and ideas from that period...

John Lydon is unbelievable. One of a kind. This song is great. Be some buzz having him on Eurovision

P.I.L. are fucking incredible. In all their incarnations.I'm sorry I didnt go see em last year down the road from me.
I think that show was cancelled?

Lydon and Dustin...feels like more of a mid 90s moment that happened in a parallel sphere.

Pity he's a total prick.

Didn't know about the Kele stuff, awful. Wouldn't have thought he'd be hanging around with racists.

The Trump stuff you could have predicted in 1977 if you spent five minutes listening to him. Lifelong contrarian.

Didn't know about the Kele stuff, awful. Wouldn't have thought he'd be hanging around with racists.

The Trump stuff you could have predicted in 1977 if you spent five minutes listening to him. Lifelong contrarian.

Maybe he just hung around with them to be contrary? Or maybe he's a lifelong prick that people (in general not you) use the contrary tag to excuse?

Maybe he just hung around with them to be contrary? Or maybe he's a lifelong prick that people (in general not you) use the contrary tag to excuse?
Thumped is for lifelong pricks but i don't think anyone is pro-racism on here!

He denied the incident, kind of, at the time, although I'm inclined to believe it happened considering how antagonistic he's always been

Thumped is for lifelong pricks but i don't think anyone is pro-racism on here!

He denied the incident, kind of, at the time, although I'm inclined to believe it happened considering how antagonistic he's always been

Aye. Questioning his masculinity isn't a good look here.

We're a special kind of prick. He's not.

I'm just a bit surprised at the racism angle is all. And the beating up bit!

Considering the shit he went through... and he does talk about compassion a fair bit.

Needless to say I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back