European and Local elections 2019 (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter IFF
  • Start date
  • Replies 292
  • Views 27K
  • Watchers 5
And car financing isn’t suitable for those with poor credit and / or people who can’t affording to be paying every month. A lot of people just are t in that position.
Given the fact the the resale value on their current petrol or diesel is going to be SFA, a lot of people don’t have that money available for a new car. It’s basically an assumption that people can afford an electric vehicle, even the entry model ones. Which of course, they can’t.
(squints)

I think we're arguing past each other a bit. I'm saying that if you're spending X on diesel every week then you can save money by buying a brand new EV. I understand that this doesn't apply to anyone who is not spending X on diesel every week

But maybe with a bigger Green Party Input at EU level, we can start funding more affordable EVs and home charging packs.
To the point where they wouldn’t just be saving a few quid but where they’d be crazy not to take up the offer.
I don't think this is realistic. We are going to have to pay for a transition to a carbon-neutral economy. It's not reasonable to expect the Greens to somehow make it magically happen for free

Like I know cavan is fucking class and all that but its very important to get away from the concept of single occupancy/owner vehicles being a human right.

An electric car still weighs more than its dinosaur fuelled equivalent.

I was having a chat with someone about the shitty public transport options in Kildare on Saturday and how someone needs to run on it. She was telling me that she lives in Prosperous and works in Newbridge, her car broke down last week and if the mechanic hadn't been able to fix it the same day her commute to work would have been; bus from Prosperous to Clane, bus from Clane to Naas, bus from Naas to Newbridge, tough to get people to drop the car unless there is comprehensive investment in rural public transport options.

I don't think this is realistic. We are going to have to pay for a transition to a carbon-neutral economy. It's not reasonable to expect the Greens to somehow make it magically happen for free

Disagree, they found 10 billion down the back of a couch to rebuild a cathedral the other week.

No magic required, money can be found if needed. Governments are literally allowed print this stuff - just up the national debt, never bothered the US except as a stick to hit the democrats.

We can call it the Peter Casey Plan, we take his money and he gets to have his name on something, win-win.

I was having a chat with someone about the shitty public transport options in Kildare on Saturday and how someone needs to run on it. She was telling me that she lives in Prosperous and works in Newbridge, her car broke down last week and if the mechanic hadn't been able to fix it the same day her commute to work would have been; bus from Prosperous to Clane, bus from Clane to Naas, bus from Naas to Newbridge, tough to get people to drop the car unless there is comprehensive investment in rural public transport options.

While i wouldn't recommend it overnight, That is less than my cycle commute that she's talking about.

@ernesto

RE: the trades. the people who use 1/4 ton of tools enough times a day to use a mobile workshop. I know a lot of people where this the reality. Is there any chat on site about ways to get around this?

Zero people are talking about it anywhere i work. I’d love my boss to buy us Electric vans. Problem is how do I charge it at home or do I have to leave it at the office every second night? Hassle

(squints)

I think we're arguing past each other a bit. I'm saying that if you're spending X on diesel every week then you can save money by buying a brand new EV. I understand that this doesn't apply to anyone who is not spending X on diesel every week

I think the money is somewhat there and could be more if they invest in a renewable energy industry.

Claire Daly in the count centre, wearing a free Assange t-shirt. Bit disappointed.

Yeah same. SADFACE

Disagree, they found 10 billion down the back of a couch to rebuild a cathedral the other week.

No magic required, money can be found if needed. Governments are literally allowed print this stuff - just up the national debt, never bothered the US except as a stick to hit the democrats.

We can call it the Peter Casey Plan, we take his money and he gets to have his name on something, win-win.

Yep, plenty of money there.

Rich cunts have never been richer

Claire Daly in the count centre, wearing a free Assange t-shirt. Bit disappointed.
shite. I gave her my 3rd preference. How many times do votes transfer? I voted Alice Mary Higgins #1, then Gary Gannon. The Higgins vote deffo transferred to Gannon. Will my Gannon vote then transfer to Daly? I'm guessing so. Would love to take it back now.

shite. I gave her my 3rd preference. How many times do votes transfer? I voted Alice Mary Higgins #1, then Gary Gannon. The Higgins vote deffo transferred to Gannon. Will my Gannon vote then transfer to Daly? I'm guessing so. Would love to take it back now.

I've seen false allegations up close a few times. I know its #ibelieveher era and all that but can i ask are the allegations your reason? I always thought those allegations (which were initially dropped apparently) were suspect enough in terms of extradition and convenient timing. Like in the NI rugby case you'd evidence floating around the web basically, in the assange case it was a video of him dancing i think?

God I dunno guys, Assange might be an annoying creep who should face trial in Sweden but right now his fate is looking like a lifetime of torture in the US, and you're all ok with that? There's a reason Chelsea Manning won't throw him to the lions.

Re the trades. the people who use 1/4 ton of tools enough times a day to use a mobile workshop. I know a lot of people where this the reality. Is there any chat on site about ways to get around this?
I carry between 1/4 and 1/2 ton of materials every day; longest daily drive I've done was 880km. electric solution is a long way off.

So I did a quick check- based on some figures I found online (24,000km per year avge car user for business, 5.5l per 100km fuel efficiency, 5.3c per litre price rise) , it looks like the proposed carbon tax will cost approx. €66 per year per car. Hardly going to break the bank?

Surely the purpose of the carbon tax is not to penalise car users only (even though they love a good persecution story, as evidenced by this thread), but to recognize that carbon is an undesirable output and to direct the population/business/economy into choosing alternative solutions that are not taxed in this way? In fairness, this would be more effective if it was also paired with greater incentives (EVs, renewables etc) but hopefully this will come at a later point…

Unfortunately Ireland also lives with the legacy of decades of braindead planning so individuals are now stuck with the consequences of trying to make their lifestyle 'sustainable' when living in circumstances that are fundamentally unsustainable. Hence the (often justifiable) complaints of people living in outer suburbs wondering how they could live without their cars for a daily commute.

To me, the carbon tax is just one tool amongst many to create a shift in people's lifestyle- car fuel is only a minor part of it..

While i wouldn't recommend it overnight, That is less than my cycle commute that she's talking about.

I don't want to talk about someone in a mean fashion but given the age profile of this particular person I don't picture her hopping on a bike.

Edit: Also, as someone who has cycled a good bit on Kildare roads, the shortest route from Prosperous to Newbridge isn't exactly a route I'd be happy to be riding on.

Jaysus the amount of transfers Peter Casey is getting. You know there'll always be a fringe of people who rally behind this sort of guy but loads of others seem to not mind him at all either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back